It is currently Sat 31 Oct 2020 11:33 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2020 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Oct 2020 11:59 pm
Posts: 3
Hi there, I'd just like to confirm that the correct translation of the phrase in the subject is; "he who lies with dogs, gets up with fleas."

(CO) SG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2023
Location: 91 - France
It should be - éireoidh sé.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2020 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2847
ZKB wrote:
Hi there, I'd just like to confirm that the correct translation of the phrase in the subject is; "he who lies with dogs, gets up with fleas."

(CO) SG


I think it's better to keep the whole sentence in the same tense (present tense in this case).
In Irish I'd say:

Éiríonn an té a luíonn le madraí le dreancaidí.


Do you want Scottish Gaelic?
Somebody else will have to do that for you. I don't speak Gaelic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 20 Oct 2020 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1530
I don't know of a traditional equivalent to that proverb in Scottish Gaelic, but here's a translation modeled on Bríd's suggestion for the Irish equivalent, deferring to her native speaker's ear as where to place the fleas! Even though she's not a Scot, her ear for syntax has to be better than mine.

Èiríchidh an duine a bhithidh na laighe le coin le deargadan.
A person who lies [will lie] down with dogs will rise up with fleas.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2020 2:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Oct 2020 11:59 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you all for your replies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2020 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Oct 2020 11:59 pm
Posts: 3
Bríd Mhór wrote:
ZKB wrote:
Hi there, I'd just like to confirm that the correct translation of the phrase in the subject is; "he who lies with dogs, gets up with fleas."

(CO) SG


I think it's better to keep the whole sentence in the same tense (present tense in this case).
In Irish I'd say:

Éiríonn an té a luíonn le madraí le dreancaidí.


Do you want Scottish Gaelic?
Somebody else will have to do that for you. I don't speak Gaelic.


I think I would prefer it in Irish actually, is that how you would write it if you were to do the same?
Thank you for your time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2020 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2847
Yes, that's how I'd say it.

Éiríonn an té a luíonn le madraí le dreancaidí.
He (or she) who lays with dogs gets up with fleas.

"An té" in Irish can stand for both men and women.

Wait for people to confirm, we always like 3 to confirm the spelling in particular.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2020 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1314
I'd prefer to put an té at the beginning.

An té a luíonn le madraí, éiríonn sé le dreancaidí.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2020 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2847
Labhrás wrote:
I'd prefer to put an té at the beginning.

An té a luíonn le madraí, éiríonn sé le dreancaidí.


:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2020 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1530
Although you decided to opt for Irish, I though I would just add that, with the revised syntax, the Scottish Gaelic could be:

An duine a bhithidh na laighe le coin, èiríchidh e le deargadan.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 110 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group