It is currently Wed 27 May 2020 8:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 4:02 am 

Hi all,
I have been trying for a few months now to find the translation for "may god greet us", I have been given many different versions but none will give me a 100% assurance that they translated it correctly, I would really appreciate your help with this. Want to make sure it's right before getting it put on my skin. Thank you and best regards, Cory

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 4:19 am 

Here's an attempt:

Go mbeannaí Dia dúinn "May God greet us"

Wait for correction or confirmation ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 9:37 pm 

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to translate that for me, can I please have a few more people verify this before I have it put on me. Also if possible can some one please show me how it should be written in Gaelic that would also be great. Thank you so much again, and again can some one also verify the translation. Best regards

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 10:04 pm 

Seconded: go mbeannaí Dia dúinn.
NW Donegal : go mbeannaidh Dia dúinn

Quote:
Also if possible can some one please show me how it should be written in Gaelic that would also be great.

Do you mean, in Scottish Gaelic? It is "gum beannaicheadh Dia dhuinn".

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012 10:43 pm 

Thank you both very much for the translation, as for the Gaelic I would be referring to the Irish Gaelic and was wondering about how it would be written in traditional script. Thank you so much for the time spent helping me with this. Best regards

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2012 12:10 am 

No special characters involved this time, so this should do it:

Go mbeannaí Dia dúinn

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2012 7:56 pm 

Thank you both for your help I have been waiting for a month to finish a back piece started last October, I have booked my time for next Friday . I was hoping you could help me with one more translation, sorry we decided to add a banner piece to the tat, I have searched through the form as I thought it was already done but was unable to find it. If you would be so kind as to translate" Only god may judge me" I would be truly greatful.
Best regards

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2012 8:22 pm 

I think the most agreed upon translation for "Only god may judge me" at IGTF was:

Dia amháin a thabharfaidh breithiúnas orm.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2012 2:26 am 

Quote:
If you would be so kind as to translate" Only god may judge me" I would be truly greatful.

Quote:
I think the most agreed upon translation for "Only god may judge me" at IGTF was:
Dia amháin a thabharfaidh breithiúnas orm.

I can second what Breandán gave you. More literally, it says "It is God alone who will render judgment on me".

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2012 3:46 am 

Thanks again, I will sent the information off to my tattooist, one last favor please as before can you please provide the writing for the new translation in old traditional Irish. Thanks again for so much help this is going to look great. Best regards