It is currently Fri 07 Aug 2020 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2020 4:48 am 

Cad'é mar atá sibh ? I'm wondering how you ask a general question like 'how do you say xyz in Irish' or 'how do you write xyz in Irish' as I commonly use this type of question with Italian eg. 'come si dice 'a book' in Italiano ?' 'how does one say 'a book' in Italian' : the answer 'un libro' ; helps when conversing with a native speaker when you're stuck for a word(s), expression etc ; Italian uses the reflexive pronoun 'si' for 'one' meaning 'you' in general or anyone ; how does one say ? I cant find this type of construction in Irish ; so there must be alternative ways of expressing it ; Google Translate doesnt help much but I think its something along the lines of Cad'é / conas sin féidir liom é a rá as Gaelige ?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh !

PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2020 5:54 am 

Ssalzano wrote:
Cad'é mar atá sibh ? I'm wondering how you ask a general question like 'how do you say xyz in Irish' or 'how do you write xyz in Irish' as I commonly use this type of question with Italian eg. 'come si dice 'a book' in Italiano ?' 'how does one say 'a book' in Italian' : the answer 'un libro' ; helps when conversing with a native speaker when you're stuck for a word(s), expression etc ; Italian uses the reflexive pronoun 'si' for 'one' meaning 'you' in general or anyone ; how does one say ? I cant find this type of construction in Irish ; so there must be alternative ways of expressing it ; Google Translate doesnt help much but I think its something along the lines of Cad'é / conas sin féidir liom é a rá as Gaelige ?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh !

For impersonal Como si dice the autonomous form ("saorbhriathar") is used in Irish, i.e. suffix -tar/-tear in present tense:

Conas a deirtear ... = How does one say
Conas a scríobhtar ... = How does one write

PostPosted: Sun 03 May 2020 8:26 am 

In Donegal:

Caidé mar a deirtear?
Caidé mar a scríobhthar?

you can also use the "you" form

Caidé mar a déarfá?
Caidé mar a scríobhfá?