It is currently Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: website name
PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2011 1:33 am 

Táim ann. I'm in. Don't want Brendan and the fam showing up for a coicís....you're welcome for a week though am ar bith.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2011 6:06 pm 

faberm wrote:
Táim ann. I'm in. Don't want Brendan and the fam showing up for a coicís....you're welcome for a week though am ar bith.
:LOL: Rachaidh muid ann lá éigin, a Fhéabair. :yes:

Bríd Mhór wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to buy it before somebody else does.
Then we'd be in trouble.
Actually, Bríd, as I explained above, we wouldn't. Nobody can stop us using the URL we have, i.e., irishlearner.awyr.com, as long as I own awyr.com. And they can't stop us using the name "Irish Learners' Forum" unless they already had a forum by the same or very similar name before we did, and then only if they can prove that we draw "business" away from them.

Having the domain name can be helpful for people to find us, but it is not essential. How many of you have actually ever typed in irishgaelictranslator.com or foghlaimnagaeilge.com to get there? I didn't. I always got there by a link from someone else or from a search engine.

Another point with domains is that even if someone grabs the one you want most, you can always find another. For example, if someone grabbed irishlearnersforum.com, we could still get .org, .ie, etc., or we could use something else that easy to remember. I would actually go for "irishlearner" myself and may do so eventually but it is not essential to do it right now.

Bríd Mhór wrote:
As this forum gets bigger I imagine it will need it's own server and financing. Wouldn't it be a good idea if we had a (discrete) donate button using PayPal so that grateful users can contribute. With absolutely no pressure on people to donate ofcourse. Similar to Wikipedia.
That could possibly happen eventually, if we can keep going like IGTF has/did. But for the moment, our usage is well and truly covered by the provider service I have for my business.

I don't actually use much bandwidth - I mainly own my current domains for the e-mail addresses I can create for my business, and the little bit of uploading such as soundfiles I did from awyr.com. It won't be very expensive to upgrade my package to the next usage level if we do start to use higher bandwidth but we won't need to worry about that for ages yet.

I'd consider a donation if it was a very expensive proposition, but I think under Australian law we would have to incorporate as an association if we accepted any form of donation or membership fee, and it would just be a hassle declaring it to the Tax Office, etc. I'd rather just pay the few extra bucks it would cost from my own pocket for the enjoyment I get out of it. (But if people shout me a pint when I meet them, I won't say no. ;) )

I will also look into a backup plan so that if I were to disappear off the face off the earth for any reason, or my provider did for that matter, Redwolf could relocate the site to her provider, for example, and the forum wouldn't disappear with me.

Please rest assured that the forum is in good hands this time and safe from profiteering.

Brendan

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2011 9:54 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Scooby. I have thought about it from the outset, and I may do it one day, but I have used up the limit on full domains with my provider (until now without actually making any websites).

If it would make people feel better, I could register the domain for a year and redirect it to irishlearner.awyr.com - I have plenty of open "slots" for domain registrations. (Technically I don't even think my registrar account has any limit) Then if any time in the next year you decide that you'd like to officially link the domain to the forum, I can transfer the registration to you.

:) David

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep 2011 7:36 pm 

wdsci wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Scooby. I have thought about it from the outset, and I may do it one day, but I have used up the limit on full domains with my provider (until now without actually making any websites).

If it would make people feel better, I could register the domain for a year and redirect it to irishlearner.awyr.com - I have plenty of open "slots" for domain registrations. (Technically I don't even think my registrar account has any limit) Then if any time in the next year you decide that you'd like to officially link the domain to the forum, I can transfer the registration to you.

I think that would be a great idea.

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep 2011 9:41 am 

wdsci wrote:
Breandán wrote:

That would be great, David. If you could register irishlearnersforum.com, I think it could serve as a backup plan in case something happens to me, as mentioned above. If Redwolf keeps a regular backup, then perhaps you two could work together to get the site running again in an emergency.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2011 3:15 am 

Breandán wrote:
That would be great, David. If you could register irishlearnersforum.com, I think it could serve as a backup plan in case something happens to me, as mentioned above. If Redwolf keeps a regular backup, then perhaps you two could work together to get the site running again in an emergency.

OK, done! It might take a little while for the DNS changes to propagate, but once that happens, both irishlearnersforum.com and www.irishlearnersforum.com will point to this site. EDIT: oops, I forgot you would need to make changes on your end to enable that, Breandán. I'll make it use a redirect instead for now, so that anyone who uses that domain will get sent to the right place.

It's probably best not to use these domain names to advertise the site, at least not until you decide whether you want it permanently.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:00 pm 

Thanks, David. The redirect is working nicely (which is good because I wasn't sure what I would have to set at my end otherwise. :S :LOL: )

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011 4:57 pm 

Just dont rename it Modern Irish Learners Forum :hide:

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011 10:16 pm 

Tiarnan wrote:

:oops: I'm sure I haven't the slightest idea what you mean. :oops: :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011 4:24 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Tiarnan wrote:

:oops: I'm sure I haven't the slightest idea what you mean. :oops: :rofl:

Yes, that would be outrageous - omitting the apostrophe like that. :darklaugh: