It is currently Tue 04 Aug 2020 2:46 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 27 Jan 2020 2:38 pm
Posts: 2
I have been asked to translate the following phrase:

'it's where you're going that counts' and wanted to check and see if there were any other suggestions. Now some paraphrasing required given we can't use 'counts'. So far I have come up with:

'Is é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul is tábhachtaí'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1272
lq203 wrote:
I have been asked to translate the following phrase:

'it's where you're going that counts' and wanted to check and see if there were any other suggestions. Now some paraphrasing required given we can't use 'counts'. So far I have come up with:

'Is é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul is tábhachtaí'


A predicative adjective should always come first in a normal Irish copula sentence:
Is tabhachtaí é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul. (lit. "Is most important the place where you are going")

But you can use some kind of prolepsis:
An áit a bhfuil tú ag dul, is tabhachtaí é. (lit. "The place where you are going, is most important it")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 373
Labhrás wrote:
lq203 wrote:
I have been asked to translate the following phrase:

'it's where you're going that counts' and wanted to check and see if there were any other suggestions. Now some paraphrasing required given we can't use 'counts'. So far I have come up with:

'Is é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul is tábhachtaí'


A predicative adjective should always come first in a normal Irish copula sentence:
Is tabhachtaí é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul. (lit. "Is most important the place where you are going")

But you can use some kind of prolepsis:
An áit a bhfuil tú ag dul, is tabhachtaí é. (lit. "The place where you are going, is most important it")


:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jan 2020 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 27 Jan 2020 2:38 pm
Posts: 2
grma

Should I use 'í' given that 'áit' is feminine? And given it is more of a 'life journey' than an actual destination, what about

Is tábhachtaí í an áit a bhfuil do thriall

?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jan 2020 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1272
lq203 wrote:
grma

Should I use 'í' given that 'áit' is feminine? And given it is more of a 'life journey' than an actual destination, what about

Is tábhachtaí í an áit a bhfuil do thriall

?


Yes, the noun áit is feminine. But it is usually referred to by the masculine pronoun é, so most often "é an áit", rarely "í an áit".
triall is okay

I could add this shorter version:
Is é an áit is tabhachtaí (ná) do thriall. (lit.: "It is the place which is most important: your journey")
(In this sentence only é is possible because it is referring to "do thriall")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jan 2020 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1272
Labhrás wrote:
lq203 wrote:
h:

'Is é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul is tábhachtaí'


A predicative adjective should always come first in a normal Irish copula sentence:
Is tabhachtaí é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul. (lit. "Is most important the place where you are going")


Having reconsidered it:
Your sentence isn't really wrong grammatically but probably awkward for two reasons:
1) "Is X is tabhachtaí" is a cleft sentence ("It is X which is most important"). But copula clefts are often expressed with a real antecedent: "Is X an rud is tabhachtaí" or "Is X an ní is tabhachtaí"
2) the intervening relative clause "a bhfuil tú ag dul" makes it a bit more strange and calls even more for a noun "an rud" or "an ni" (in my opinion, at least)
So,
Is é an áit a bhfuil tú ag dul an ní is tábhachtaí.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 116 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group