It is currently Tue 04 Aug 2020 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan 2020 4:26 pm 

Hello,

I’m hoping someone might be able to offer aid in my search for a proper Irish translation. I’m in the process of designing a tattoo for myself. A piece that will incorporate different forms of Irish symbolism and mythology. I would like to add a bit of Irish Gaelic to the piece as well. I’ve talked to two translators with varying degrees of knowledge and fluency. Yet I still can’t quite find a truly consistent translation. The word I’m hoping to learn is “Ancestors”. As in the plural, possessive form. One of the translators believed that the word “Sinsir” is what I was looking for. The other thought I might be referring to the word “Sinsear”... I recognize the gravity and permanence of a tattoo. Dying my skin is a lifelong commitment, a commitment that I do not make lightly. That is why I need to get this translation absolutely right. That is why I am writing this message. In the hopes that I’m able to connect with a few people who differ in their expertise within this field. This will be my first tattoo, and quite possibly my only tattoo. I truly want to honor my heritage and the culture that brought me into being. My task in creating this tattoo is to form a lasting and physical connection to my ancestors. A permanent link formed by carefully chosen words and symbols. I sincerely hope some of you are willing to help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

-Lilwen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan 2020 9:51 pm 

Lilwen wrote:
Hello,

I’m hoping someone might be able to offer aid in my search for a proper Irish translation. I’m in the process of designing a tattoo for myself. A piece that will incorporate different forms of Irish symbolism and mythology. I would like to add a bit of Irish Gaelic to the piece as well. I’ve talked to two translators with varying degrees of knowledge and fluency. Yet I still can’t quite find a truly consistent translation. The word I’m hoping to learn is “Ancestors”. As in the plural, possessive form. One of the translators believed that the word “Sinsir” is what I was looking for. The other thought I might be referring to the word “Sinsear”...

sinsear = an ancestor, mo shinsear = my ancestor, an sinsear = the ancestor
sinsir = of an ancestor, mo shinsir = of my ancestor, an tsinsir = of the ancestor
sinsir = ancestors, mo shinsir = my ancestors, na sinsir = the ancestors
sinsear = of ancestors, mo shinsear = of my ancestors, na sinsear = of the ancestors