It is currently Mon 06 Apr 2020 4:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan 2020 2:27 am 

ShaggMagee wrote:
1. Sciorradh focail, gearradh scornaí

2. Aon fhear a dhéanann achomharc ar an dlí i gcoinne daoine eile, is amadán nó cladhaire é. Aon fhear nach féidir leis aire a thabhairt dó féin gan an dlí sin, is é an dá rud é. Mar déarfaidh fear gortaithe lena ionsaitheoir, "Má mhairim mé, maróidh mé thú. Má fhaighim bás, tá maite duit.

3. Go maire an té atá bodhar, dall agus ina thost céad bliain i síocháin.

So, should I put "Má mhairim ..." or ... ? for #2?

Má mhairim, maróidh mé thú. Má fhaighim bás, beidh maite duit

Maróidh mé an chéad duine eile a scríobhfas "má mhairim mé" fiú amháin más é an rud deireannach é a dhéanfas mé ...
(I'll kill the next person who writes "má mhairim mé" even it is the last thing that I'll do ...) ;)

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan 2020 2:31 am 

Ok, LOL, I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all your help and apologize for being a pain in your back sides LOL it really means a lot to me.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan 2020 8:57 am 

1. Sciorradh focail, gearradh scornaí

2. Aon fhear a dhéanann achomharc ar an dlí i gcoinne daoine eile, is amadán nó cladhaire é. Aon fhear nach féidir leis aire a thabhairt dó féin gan an dlí sin, is é an dá rud é. Mar déarfaidh fear gortaithe lena ionsaitheoir, "Má mhairim, maróidh mé thú. Má fhaighim bás, beidh maite duit."

3. Go maire an té atá bodhar, dall agus ina thost céad bliain i síocháin.

So, final verification, everything looks good then, right? I'm all set to go?

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2020 1:32 am 

Hey, haven't been on in a while, just checking again to see if everything is all good to go so I can start laying ink. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2020 11:30 am 

Shagg, they look good to me.
But let's wait a bit to get at least one more reconfirmation.

By the way, in my opinion, 2 is rather long. What about getting only the last part (the last 2 sentences) inked, if that's the one you decide on?

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2020 11:39 am 

Well, yes, #2 is a pretty long translation, however, it's gonna be going on my left side, on the ribs.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb 2020 9:57 pm 

Ok, so I have 1 verification, I just need 2 more before I set my tattoo appt and start laying some ink down

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb 2020 11:42 pm 

Sorry if I’m messing this up, but I don’t quite understand what this means.
I don’t think you mean “appeal” in the legal sense of going to court twice. A reversal of the of the previous judgement. So I looked it up and found this meaning:

“Appeal to the Law
Description: When following the law is assumed to be the morally correct thing to do, without justification, or when breaking the law is assumed to be the morally wrong thing to do, without justification.” https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/too ... to-the-Law

In that case I think the best word would be either “lean” to follow, or “comhairle” advice of the law.

1. Sciorradh focail, gearradh scornaí :good:

2. Aon duine a thogann comhairle an dlí i gcoinne duine eile, is amadán nó cladhaire é.
Aon duine nach féidir leis aire a thabhairt dó féin gan an dlí sin, is é an dá rud é. Mar déarfaidh fear gortaithe lena ionsaitheoir, "Má mhairim, maróidh mé thú. Má fhaighim bás, beidh tú maite."

3. Go maire an té atá bodhar, dall agus ina thost céad bliain i síocháin. :good:

I changed to "duine" (person male or female) singular instead of plural. And I changed "man" to "person" too unless it only applies to men not women. And it is more natural in Irish.

Personally I'd prefer to say: "is amadán agus cladhaire é" rather than "is é an dá rud é". Repeating it sounds better in my opinion.

If I got the wrong end of the stick go back to the previous suggestions. :)

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2020 12:03 am 

Actually, you're correct. The quote doesn't mean "man as in specifically just men, but as in a person. So, yeah, "person" would work just as well, however, the original quote says man. Idk if that helps or anything

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2020 2:08 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
d"Má mhairim, maróidh mé thú. Má fhaighim bás, beidh tú maite."

Hmm. :??:
I was corrected above for using Maithfidh mé thú which was wrong
because the direct object of "maith" is the deed to be forgiven- not the wrongdoer.
And I'd think the correction was correct ;)

"Rud a mhaitheamh do dhuine"
This verb has two arguments: the thing to be forgiven (rud) and the the person to be forgiven (do dhuine), always with do, acc. to dictionary.

So (in future perfect tense):
Beidh X maite. - X (the deed) will be forgiven.
Beidh maite do Y. - Y (the wrongdoer) will be forgiven
Beidh X maite do Y. - Y (the wrongdoer) will be forgiven for X (his deed).

I'd assume, X can't be "tú", Y can't be a deed.
Beidh mo pheacaí maite dom. = I will be forgiven for my sins.

Perhaps a sentence without an ouvert subject as Beidh maite duit. might be regarded impossible* (though possible with other verbs at least in other dialects), then I'd think it should be:
Beidh sé maite duit.

* ) I could find one example without subject:
' Agus anois , a Airt , a lao dhil , nach bhfuil maite dom ? ' (Dracula, transl. by Seán Ó Cuirrín)

Last edited by Labhrás on Mon 03 Feb 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next