It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019 3:29 am 

Hi I was hoping to get a proper translation from English to Irish for the following phrase "Defend Us" Ive been doing some research and I've seen a couple different variations of it including simply "cosain sinn" or "Sinn a Cosaint" etc. I Was hoping to hear from you fine folks for a proper translation before I went any further with the idea for my next tattoo. Thanks so much for your help!

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep 2019 11:11 pm 

timlally5 wrote:
Hi I was hoping to get a proper translation from English to Irish for the following phrase "Defend Us" Ive been doing some research and I've seen a couple different variations of it including simply "cosain sinn" or "Sinn a Cosaint" etc. I Was hoping to hear from you fine folks for a proper translation before I went any further with the idea for my next tattoo. Thanks so much for your help!

"Cosain sinn!" works. That form is used when the command is addressed to one person. If more than one person is being addressed, then the correct form would be "Cosnaígí sinn!". In the case of general slogans, the form for addressing one person is frequently used, but if you were standing in front of a group and exhorting them all to defend you, then you would use "Cosnaígí sinn!"

The expression "sinn a chosaint" (note the added "h") is not a full sentence, and is like the English partial sentence "... to defend us".