It is currently Sat 07 Dec 2019 1:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2019 4:46 pm 

So, I've just finished working through Dillons old book on Munster Irish, I have the audio.

I was wondering how the two compare to each other? As I am also interested in the Connaught dialects. Would it be a waste of my time as a learner to buy and work through Learning Irish when I have already worked through and am actively revising TYI?

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019 9:09 am 

I've been through both of them myself. They take a different tact on how to approach the language. TYI is more grammar translation and LI, although it provides grammar in the lessons, teaches more through example in the form of monologues and dialogues.

They also focus on different dialects, TYI on Munster and LI on Connacht, specifically areas in Galway. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with studying both as long as you are aware of it when you use the language. That is, don't mix the obvious differences too much. I found that the dialect of Connemara is fluid and easier to use and pronounce than that of Munster, which seems a bit rigid.

Have a look around before you purchase LI, too. There may be someone who has a used copy.

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019 12:15 pm 

I think it would be good to have a basic understanding of all the major dialects, their similarities and differences. But then choose one dialect to get fluent in.

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019 12:35 pm 

Thanks Tiomluas that's exactly the kind of comparison I was hoping for. I'll probably learn better from LI then since it's more so the examples I learn from than the explanations in TYI anyway.

Thanks Bríd that's good advice. That's why I was half considering just sticking with TYI and Munster, saving time and progressing, but I think I will get LI anyway.

I'm told that the difference between the southern dialects tends to be overemphasised and mostly comes down to phonetics and some vocabulary differences. I like the sound of them both regardless.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2019 3:01 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
I think it would be good to have a basic understanding of all the major dialects, their similarities and differences. But then choose one dialect to get fluent in.

Tá ceart go leor aice cinnte.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jun 2019 2:17 am 

Bríd could you not become fluent in both at the same time? Are the Munster and Connaught dialects that different?

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2019 1:16 pm 

It's not that they're that different, it's just much better to focus on one at a time. And really to only pick one to become truly fluent in, which making sure you can understand the other.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2019 3:53 pm 

oisin wrote:
Bríd could you not become fluent in both at the same time? Are the Munster and Connaught dialects that different?

I'm a native Conamara speaker. So really I haven't tried to speak in any other dialect.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019 1:07 am 

Ah thank you galaxyrocker, I suppose I'll have a look at O'Siadhail's book before making any decision on focusing on one or the other anyway.

That makes sense Bríd... I demand that you ditch your native tongue and speak like a Munster woman! I shall make it illegal in all the schools of Connacht to speak anything other than Gaolainn!

Sorry sorry, I jest. Thanks guys.

Here's a video that some on these forums may find amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tn5I22 ... 3D&index=3

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019 3:41 pm 

oisin wrote:

I think if anything, their similarity might make them slightly harder to keep apart (at first). The phonological differences are slight compared to those between Munster and Ulster dialects.

If you did mix them your Irish would be something like the Irish of Clare would have been.

If you want take your Munster studies further be sure to check out the notes to reading Séadna on our site.

You might also like to consider Buntús Cainte as a way of approaching the standard with native (albeit Connacht) pronunciation.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).