It is currently Tue 18 Jun 2019 9:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Book reading list
PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2019 4:42 pm 

Lads, this forum is vast, just spent an hour searching through it.

So I have just finished working through Myles Dillons Teach Yourself Irish.

I'm considering working through one of these books next, and if any of you are familiar with them maybe you could offer some advice on where to start.

-A Thig na Tit orm (Maidhc Dainin Ó'Sé)

-Mo sceal féin

-Seadna

-An tOileanach

-Learning Irish (O'Siadhails) - because I am also interested in the west Connaught variety of Irish, despite being a Munsterman.

-Any of your own suggestions on where to start.

Also if anybody is interested in starting a reading thread with me where a group of us work through a book let me know too!

Post subject: Re: Book reading list
PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2019 8:40 pm 

oisin wrote:
Lads, this forum is vast, just spent an hour searching through it.

So I have just finished working through Myles Dillons Teach Yourself Irish.

I'm considering working through one of these books next, and if any of you are familiar with them maybe you could offer some advice on where to start.

-A Thig na Tit orm (Maidhc Dainin Ó'Sé)

-Mo sceal féin

-Seadna

-An tOileanach

-Learning Irish (O'Siadhails) - because I am also interested in the west Connaught variety of Irish, despite being a Munsterman.

-Any of your own suggestions on where to start.

Also if anybody is interested in starting a reading thread with me where a group of us work through a book let me know too!

I like just about anything by Pádraig Standún or Proinseas Mac a'Bhaird. A bonus for me is that a lot of Standún's books are available for the Kindle, which saves me a fair bit of money (and allows for instant gratification!)

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2019 10:21 pm 

Go raibh maith agat Redwolf :).

No kindle for me but I will certainly add Padraig Standún to my reading list here.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 11:54 pm 

There is an entire thread of notes to help with the reading of Séadna:

viewforum.php?f=38

An tOileánach is fairly straight forward and available in translation if you get stuck.

Peig is okay too. It may be boring for school kids but, like An tOileánach, it offers insights into a way of life that has all but disappeared.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2019 1:23 am 

Ah very good Breandán, it looks like the Séadna notes might have been taken down are they?

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2019 7:16 am 

You can still find them there (the files are still on the server): membrfaylz/anlondubh/

The Séadna notes are the files CaibidealX.pdf. I would also recommend looking at Sliabh na mBan bhFionn (the SliabhnamBan.pdf file), which is the whole text by Peadar Ua Laoghaire and An Lon Dubh’s notes to it, and the notes are pretty beginner-level friendly. The text is quite short, so easier to get through the whole thing. The language, on one hand, is pretty archaic (story passed orally at least from 18th century without much change), on the other hand fairly simple (contrary to Séadna, it wasn’t written to show the whole richness of spoken Irish ;-)).

Also, there is a pretty faithful English translation of Séadna available on archive.org: Shiana, helpful if you get stuck.

And then there is a whole subject Study Group: Séadna (GM) on the Forum, where you’ll also find discussions of the language used in the book (and links to the notes).

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2019 1:25 pm 

Brilliant Silmeth, thank you.