It is currently Sat 25 May 2019 4:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2019 5:39 pm 

ASchimel84 wrote:
Alright,

I'm going to stick to my original idea of using the Irish translation of American, Meiriceánach. I think if I try and change too many words around, it will literally get lost in translation.

Last question, the marks at the end of a would be carving (the 45/135 degree angle at the top and the opposite at the bottom if that makes any sense!), is that for ending and beginning a sentence or would it be used before and after just a word. From what I have seen its just complete phrases and NOT just words, but I wanted to make sure.

You guys have been great...thank you so much!

You guessed correctly. Those are markers for the beginning and end of something that is being written - usually not anything as long as a sentence, maybe a word or two. These marks are features of the manuscript ogam tradition, they were never used on stones as far as I know. You can see some very ornate looking ones (and some very odd looking ogam) in the Book of Ballymote: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Book_of_Ballymote_170v.jpg

A point to note, you say these are at the top and bottom of the ogam when it's upright. Generally, when ogam is written upwards, from bottom to top, it would have been on stone, and hence these marks wouldn't have been used. They were mostly used in manuscripts where the ogam would have been written from left to right.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2019 7:26 pm 

:facepalm:

This makes perfect sense now. I think I know what I'm going to do from this point forward.

Thank you sooooo much for your help, you have no idea!!!!