It is currently Thu 21 Feb 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 4
Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get 'fighter' translated into Irish if I could? I was here before for strong. As always I am a bit nervous because I don't want something on my body that isn't right. Thank You :clap: :dhera: :guiness: :computer: :bash:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2019 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
"Trodaí" is one possibility, but it's quite literal. Something like "laoch" (warrior/hero) might fit your meaning better.

Wait for more input, please.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2019 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 124
Redwolf has some good ideas there.

I was thinking maybe put it in a short phrase though like:

Is laoch mé.


You need to get more input on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2019 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 4
Thank you everyone for your timely responses. I have an appointment for the 20th of next month so I hope that gives me enough cushion to have everything in order. Again I am just looking for the word fighter, just plan, simple, one word. That's it just the one word and maybe a cool font :reading: :toast:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2019 5:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2738
Redwolf wrote:
"Trodaí" is one possibility, but it's quite literal. Something like "laoch" (warrior/hero) might fit your meaning better.

Wait for more input, please.

Redwolf



:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 4
Thank you everyone, it seems that Trodaí is the word I will most likely go with. I also found Trodaire, and I was wondering what the difference if any there is? Also I was curious on the fadad? I know when I got my 1st one that I made sure the artist the correct way was used. :pages: :dhera: 8O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2019 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1019
kmhprincess86 wrote:
Thank you everyone, it seems that Trodaí is the word I will most likely go with. I also found Trodaire, and I was wondering what the difference if any there is? Also I was curious on the fadad? I know when I got my 1st one that I made sure the artist the correct way was used. :pages: :dhera: 8O


Trodaí

There are different ways to make agent nouns from other nouns or verbs.
So, there are the suffixes -aí, -aire, -óir and others (for English -er). They all mean the same.


Trodaí is the usual way in this case (troid = fight + -= trodaí = fighter)
(btw: There's no connection to the English -ee suffix though pronounced the same, so trodaí is a fighter, not a "fightee", someone to be fought)

Spelling is correct (fada on í).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 4
I am almost ready, although I would like to get a little more input before going forward in my decision. :guiness: :prof: :panic: :??:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019 12:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1405
kmhprincess86 wrote:
I am almost ready, although I would like to get a little more input before going forward in my decision. :guiness: :prof: :panic: :??:


Bríd is a native Irish speaker, Labhrás is one of the most fluent speakers on the forum, and Redwolf teaches Irish to beginners, so you really have what you need in the way of confirmation, but here's a further thumbs up for trodaí. :good:

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 124
CaoimhínSF wrote:
kmhprincess86 wrote:
I am almost ready, although I would like to get a little more input before going forward in my decision. :guiness: :prof: :panic: :??:


Bríd is a native Irish speaker, Labhrás is one of the most fluent speakers on the forum, and Redwolf teaches Irish to beginners, so you really have what you need in the way of confirmation, but here's a further thumbs up for trodaí. :good:


And another . . . :good:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group