It is currently Thu 21 Feb 2019 6:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2019 9:03 pm 

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get 'fighter' translated into Irish if I could? I was here before for strong. As always I am a bit nervous because I don't want something on my body that isn't right. Thank You :clap: :dhera: :guiness: :computer: :bash:

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2019 3:51 pm 

"Trodaí" is one possibility, but it's quite literal. Something like "laoch" (warrior/hero) might fit your meaning better.

Wait for more input, please.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2019 3:30 am 

Redwolf has some good ideas there.

I was thinking maybe put it in a short phrase though like:

Is laoch mé.

You need to get more input on this.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2019 9:42 pm 

Thank you everyone for your timely responses. I have an appointment for the 20th of next month so I hope that gives me enough cushion to have everything in order. Again I am just looking for the word fighter, just plan, simple, one word. That's it just the one word and maybe a cool font :reading: :toast:

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2019 5:49 am 

Redwolf wrote:
"Trodaí" is one possibility, but it's quite literal. Something like "laoch" (warrior/hero) might fit your meaning better.

Wait for more input, please.

Redwolf

:good:

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2019 10:42 pm 

Thank you everyone, it seems that Trodaí is the word I will most likely go with. I also found Trodaire, and I was wondering what the difference if any there is? Also I was curious on the fadad? I know when I got my 1st one that I made sure the artist the correct way was used. :pages: :dhera: 8O

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2019 12:01 pm 

kmhprincess86 wrote:
Thank you everyone, it seems that Trodaí is the word I will most likely go with. I also found Trodaire, and I was wondering what the difference if any there is? Also I was curious on the fadad? I know when I got my 1st one that I made sure the artist the correct way was used. :pages: :dhera: 8O

Trodaí

There are different ways to make agent nouns from other nouns or verbs.
So, there are the suffixes -aí, -aire, -óir and others (for English -er). They all mean the same.

Trodaí is the usual way in this case (troid = fight + -= trodaí = fighter)
(btw: There's no connection to the English -ee suffix though pronounced the same, so trodaí is a fighter, not a "fightee", someone to be fought)

Spelling is correct (fada on í).

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:19 pm 

I am almost ready, although I would like to get a little more input before going forward in my decision. :guiness: :prof: :panic: :??:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019 12:22 am 

kmhprincess86 wrote:
I am almost ready, although I would like to get a little more input before going forward in my decision. :guiness: :prof: :panic: :??:

Bríd is a native Irish speaker, Labhrás is one of the most fluent speakers on the forum, and Redwolf teaches Irish to beginners, so you really have what you need in the way of confirmation, but here's a further thumbs up for trodaí. :good:

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:10 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
kmhprincess86 wrote:

Bríd is a native Irish speaker, Labhrás is one of the most fluent speakers on the forum, and Redwolf teaches Irish to beginners, so you really have what you need in the way of confirmation, but here's a further thumbs up for trodaí. :good:

And another . . . :good: