It is currently Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2019 7:10 pm 

Hi! :wave:

I'm looking for the translation of "big sister" and "little sister" into standard Irish for a tattoo I'm planning with my sister. It's to be above a trinity knot.

I've done some Google research and found "deirfiúr mhór" for "big sister" and "deirfiúr bheag" for "little sister". Are these correct translations? I want to make sure the spelling and grammar is correct. Also, anyone know how to properly pronounce them? I've found some audio clips, but just want to make sure.

Thank you all so much for your help in advance!! :winkgrin:

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2019 3:50 pm 

Ciaran387 wrote:
Hi! :wave:

I'm looking for the translation of "big sister" and "little sister" into standard Irish for a tattoo I'm planning with my sister. It's to be above a trinity knot.

I've done some Google research and found "deirfiúr mhór" for "big sister" and "deirfiúr bheag" for "little sister". Are these correct translations? I want to make sure the spelling and grammar is correct. Also, anyone know how to properly pronounce them? I've found some audio clips, but just want to make sure.

Thank you all so much for your help in advance!! :winkgrin:

The words are grammatically correct. I'd like to hear from someone like Bríd Mhór as to whether "mór" and "beag" are actually used in this sense to denote older and younger siblings or if it's Bearlachas before proceeding, however.

"Deirfiúr" is one word that can vary greatly in pronunciation, depending on dialect. I say (roughly) JER-ih-foor. Teanglann.ie has a pronunciation utility, but for some reason I can't find it this morning...maybe someone else can point you in that direction.

Do wait for more input.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2019 4:56 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
Teanglann.ie has a pronunciation utility, but for some reason I can't find it this morning...maybe someone else can point you in that direction.

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/deirfi%C3%BAr

There isn't deirfiúr alone but
deirfiúr chéile
and
deirfiúr chleamhnais
(both "sister in law")

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2019 6:10 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
The words are grammatically correct. I'd like to hear from someone like Bríd Mhór as to whether "mór" and "beag" are actually used in this sense to denote older and younger siblings or if it's Bearlachas before proceeding, however.

I think "Mór"can be used.
"Beag" certainly can. For a younger sibling, and also for say "junior" when named after the parent.
like- deirfiúr beag - younger sister, and John Beag son of John the father (I think in Munster Óg is more likely Seán Óg, Bríd Óg etc.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2019 7:54 pm 

Thank you everyone!! :aingeal:

We definitely do need the h in both mhór and bheag, right? I thought since deirfiúr is a feminine word and mór and beag start with consonants that the h was needed?
Sorry if I'm just repeating, I just wanna be extra sure before we get our tattoos in March. We're getting sister tattoos to honor our Irish ancestry from County Cork and I've been trying to teach myself some Irish too.

Thank you Brid Mhór for clarifying that mór can be used and definitely beag to denote older and younger siblings. Oh, so only in Munster Óg would be used instead of mór?

Thank you Redwolf for verifying the grammar! And for giving me a pronounciation and the name of a site (And thank you to Labhrás for providing the link!) I will definitely check that site out! What does Bearlachas mean, for curiosity?

Oh, another question I just thought of-- would it be okay to use a capital letter on each word? Or would it be better to write it all in lower case script?

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2019 10:24 pm 

Ciaran387 wrote:

We definitely do need the h in both mhór and bheag, right? I thought since deirfiúr is a feminine word and mór and beag start with consonants that the h was needed?

Because deirfiúr is feminine, adjectives must be lenited, so: m -> mh, b -> bh, etc.: deirfiúr mhór, deirfiúr bheag

Deartháir, brother, is masculine, so no lenition here: deartháir mór, deartháir beag

Quote:
Oh, another question I just thought of-- would it be okay to use a capital letter on each word? Or would it be better to write it all in lower case script?

It would be okay, I'd think.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2019 12:19 am 

Labhrás wrote:
Ciaran387 wrote:

Because deirfiúr is feminine, adjectives must be lenited, so: m -> mh, b -> bh, etc.: deirfiúr mhór, deirfiúr bheag

Deartháir, brother, is masculine, so no lenition here: deartháir mór, deartháir beag

Quote:

It would be okay, I'd think.

Thank you!! :D