It is currently Thu 21 Feb 2019 6:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2019 4:46 pm 

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to help. I am struggling a bit with a translation for an upcoming tattoo and carved memorial for my parents. Like many big working class Irish American Catholic families from Boston, our parents always stressed the importance of family, education and religion and a love of Irish culture and history. To this end, my mother would always say "you can do whatever you want, but wherever life takes you... never forget where you come from."

I'm looking to translate a shortened version of this "Never Forget" or as an alternative "Always Remember / Remember Forever". I have asked family members in Ireland for assistance but have received numerous translations and am a bit confused. I am trying to select the best translation with the appropriate context, punctuation, capitalization etc. Any and all assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Here is what I have so far...

Cuimhnigh go deo
Cuimhnigh go brách
Ná Déan Dearmad
Ná dearmad go deo
Ná dearmad choíche
Ná déan dearmad choíche

Leaning towards either Cuimhnigh go deo OR Cuimhnigh go brách.

Thank you,

Brendan

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan 2019 12:25 pm 

bmlangan77 wrote:
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to help. I am struggling a bit with a translation for an upcoming tattoo and carved memorial for my parents. Like many big working class Irish American Catholic families from Boston, our parents always stressed the importance of family, education and religion and a love of Irish culture and history. To this end, my mother would always say "you can do whatever you want, but wherever life takes you... never forget where you come from."

I'm looking to translate a shortened version of this "Never Forget" or as an alternative "Always Remember / Remember Forever". I have asked family members in Ireland for assistance but have received numerous translations and am a bit confused. I am trying to select the best translation with the appropriate context, punctuation, capitalization etc. Any and all assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Here is what I have so far...

Cuimhnigh go deo
Cuimhnigh go brách
Ná Déan Dearmad
Ná dearmad go deo
Ná dearmad choíche
Ná déan dearmad choíche

Leaning towards either Cuimhnigh go deo OR Cuimhnigh go brách.

Thank you,

Brendan

Cuimhnigh means remember, remind.
So you lean towards what you described as "or as an alternative ..."
All forms are okay (except there's no reason to write "Ná déan dearmad" in upper case).

The difference between go deo and go brách ist subtle. Go brách is more religious (lit. "until the Last Judgement")
Choíche is just another word for "always".

"Ná déan dearmad" can mean "Don't make a mistake!", too.*)
So, "Ná dearmad" is less ambiguous for "Don't forget" out of context.

*) I'd keep a sound distance to someone with such a tattoo on his arm ;)

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2019 9:18 pm 

Thank you very much for your input. It is very much appreciated! Such a beautiful but complex language, context and punctuation are everything. Going to go with Cuimhnigh go deo, but still like and may go with Cuimhnigh go brách. Think these both capture the essence of what I'm trying to convey with Always Remember vs. never forget. Thank you again!