It is currently Wed 27 May 2020 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: TAT: "Dog" (GU)
PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan 2012 4:15 pm 

I'm planning a tattoo to honor our deceased dog, whose name is "Irish". I really want the wording to express what she was to us.
What I'd like to have translated follows(keep in mind our dog's name is "Irish"):"Our perfect Irish: Coat of amber, heart of gold. Lives enriched, forever missed. Sweet and pretty, pretty and sweet."
Any and all suggestions are eagerly welcome, and I send thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: TAT: "Dog" (GU)
PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan 2012 5:32 pm 

K9MommyForever wrote:
I'm planning a tattoo to honor our deceased dog, whose name is "Irish". I really want the wording to express what she was to us.
What I'd like to have translated follows(keep in mind our dog's name is "Irish"):"Our perfect Irish: Coat of amber, heart of gold. Lives enriched, forever missed. Sweet and pretty, pretty and sweet."
Any and all suggestions are eagerly welcome, and I send thanks in advance.

Hello, K9MommyForever, I'm assuming you're the same poster from over at IGTF, yes? You'll notice that a lot of the same regulars from over there are also over here at ILF. I'm going to link to your thread over there, so anyone new who wants to contribute has the benefit of seeing all of the previous discussion.

Here's the original...

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... 07950.html

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan 2012 7:12 pm 

Yes PennyRat, I'm the same one. Not only am I brand new to the Irish language, I'm brand new to forum-using and didn't know I could have linked.
Thanks for the assist!
I've already received a bunch of help but I just wasn't satisfied with my original idea for "Irish"'s tattoo. I think I got too caught up in trying to sort out the different meanings of the various words/phrases suggested and lost my focus. In any case, I'm very grateful for the forums' (ILF and IGT) contributor's time and efforts in helping me put this tattoo together.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012 4:37 am 

Since most of your latest request is different from what you requested on the other forum, I'm offering a translation here. I've left the dog's name untranslated, since "Irish" was its actual name, and translating it might be confusing. You'll note that the last line here is what I offered you on the other forum for that same line. I don't think there were any comments on that line there.

Ár madra foirfe, Irish
Our perfect dog, Irish

Fionnadh ómrach, croí na féile.
Coat of amber, heart of gold [literally: a generous heart]

Saolta saibhrithe, cronaithe i gcónaí
Lives enriched, forever missed.

Binn agus boidheach, boidheach 's binn
Sweet and pretty, pretty and sweet.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012 1:37 pm 

CaoimhínSF,
Wow! Thank you so much for the quick reply. Through the other forum I was once again reminded how literal my thinking is, and I let all the different very welcome and appreciated suggestions overwhelm me. Over the holidays I thought about our dog, Irish, an awful lot and decided that my original translation request just didn't do my feelings about her justice. It's very important to me to have the "Sweet and pretty, pretty and sweet" line in there because that was actually one of our nicknames for her. Saying that to her always made us happy and made her whole body wag.
So now I'll wait for confirmation and/or suggestions from others, with me keeping a much more open mind. :winkgrin:
I'll also be asking for pronunciation once we have this nailed down. That's going to be a big task for me, practicing the sound and syntax. I'm ready!

Thanks again!