It is currently Fri 03 May 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Effective Vs. Efficient
PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2018 5:07 pm 

A chairde,

I frequently come across sentences in English like the following, where a distinction is clearly being made between "effective" and "efficient":

"The organisation was always looking for more effective and more efficient ways of enforcing these rules".

There are many discussions and opinions online about these two words, but I think it's better to go back to the source. Here are Oxford's definitions:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/effective
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/efficient

I can see that in some cases, their meaning may overlap. However, for the author here, I would say that "effective" means "success in producing a desired result" and "efficient" means "maximum production, minimum waste". Can anyone tell me how they would translate this sentence into Irish? Any strategies they have for translating these two words into Irish?

Briain.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2018 2:17 pm 

You could just use the phrase "níos éifeachtaí " once. > Bhí an eagraíocht i gcónaí ag lorg bealaí níos éifeachtaí chun na rialacha seo a fhorfheidhmiú.

Or use your explanation "producing a desired result" as in "The organisation was always looking for more effective ways of enforcing these rules and producing more desired results." > Bhí an eagraíocht i gcónaí ag lorg bealaí níos éifeachtaí chun na rialacha seo a fhorfheidhmiú agus torthaí níos inmhianaithe a tháirgeadh.

de Bhaldraithe has the following definitions:

effective. 1 a. a Éifeachtach. The purgative was effective, d'oibrigh an phurgóid. b Atá ann. Mec.E: Effective power, feidhmchumhacht f. c Effective contrast, contrárthacht shuntasach. Effective picture, pictiúr cumasach. d Mil: Effective troops, saighdiúirí inghnímh. e (Of decree, etc.) To become effective, teacht i bhfeidhm. 2 s.pl. Mil: Effectives, fir inghnímh. ► effectively, adv. 1 Le héifeacht, go héifeachtach. 2 Le fírinne, dáiríre. 3 Go suntasach.

efficient, a. a Phil: Efficient cause, cúis éifeachtach. b (Of method, work) Éifeachtach. c Efficient machine, (i) inneall m mórdhéanadais; (ii) inneall feidhmiúil. d (Of pers.) Inniúil, éifeachtach. ► efficiently, adv.Go hinniúil, go héifeachtach. Work efficiently done, obair éifeachtach.

Wait for more ideas from other members before you decide anything.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2018 3:35 pm 

Briain786 wrote:
A chairde,

I frequently come across sentences in English like the following, where a distinction is clearly being made between "effective" and "efficient":

"The organisation was always looking for more effective and more efficient ways of enforcing these rules".

There are many discussions and opinions online about these two words, but I think it's better to go back to the source. Here are Oxford's definitions:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/effective
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/efficient

I can see that in some cases, their meaning may overlap. However, for the author here, I would say that "effective" means "success in producing a desired result" and "efficient" means "maximum production, minimum waste". Can anyone tell me how they would translate this sentence into Irish? Any strategies they have for translating these two words into Irish?

Briain.

Acc. to www.focoir.ie
efficient = éifeachtúil, feidhmiúil
effective = éifeachtach

Acc. to EID (de Bháldraithe) in both cases éifeachtach

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov 2018 3:12 pm 

@Both: Go raibh maith agaibh. I consulted these dictionaries before writing my post.

@Labhrás: the sources you provide contradict each other, which unfortunately leaves me without a solution.

@tiomluasocein: you offer some good solutions.

None of these is perfect, but the translation strategies I would employ in order of preference are:

1. Translate "effective" as "éifeachtach", and then translate "efficient" as a string of words that explain the concept like you suggest.

2. As http://www.focloir.ie suggests, translate "effective" as "éifeachtach", and then translate "efficient" as "éifeachtúil". I would be afraid that someone reading the Irish text would not understand fully what I am trying to say. I am not sure that even a native speaker makes a distinction between "éifeachtach" and "éifeachtúil" that corresponds to the distinction in English.

3. As De Bhaldraithe suggests, translate both English words with just one Irish one: "éifeachtach". Again though, I would be afraid that someone reading the Irish text would not understand the nuance that is made in English.

I welcome any thoughts,

Briain.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 12:10 am 

I would go with "éifeachtach" and an explanation involving the sense of "maximum production and minimum waste", for the rest. It seems difficult to include this within the idea of "ways" to do something but comes after as a general concept of desired outcomes in the work place. Using "éifeachtúil" seems redundant. Other words, "feidhmiúil" or "inniúil" may be OK for "efficient" but I'm not absolutely certain. It would be your choice according to how you want to present the idea.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 5:16 pm 

I suggest using "táirgiúil" for "effective", as an effect is being produced.