It is currently Wed 17 Oct 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2018 10:38 am 

It's meant to be a play on words. Collecting spoons as a metaphor for a support group meeting. I want use the word for collecting spoons not gathering as a meeting, gathering or collecting as a harvest of Spoons.

Actually in English I think of it as Spoonful Gathering, possibly due to song Spoonful written by Willie Dixon, popularized by Howlin Wolf, though the first version I heard was Eric Clapton's off my Best of Cream album bought in 1969 I think. Cannot get that tune out of my head now.

As performed by Cream
https://youtu.be/tv-dIdlqahY
World's first supergroup, Jack Bruce (Bass/Vocals), Eric Clapton (Guitar), Ginger Baker (Drums)

My guess using https://www.focloir.ie/en/ was Bailiú Spúnóg or Bhailiú Spúnóga.

Help please.

In case you were wondering . . .
Symbol of Spoons as a Measure of Strength
The term “Spoons” was coined by Christine Miserandino in 2003 in her essay "The Spoon Theory". The Spoon Theory is a disability metaphor and neologism used to explain the reduced amount of energy available for activities of living and productive tasks that may result from disability or chronic illness.

Spoons are basically units of energy that may be replaced after rest or a night of sleep.

However, people with chronic diseases, such as autoimmune diseases, and various disabilities may have sleep difficulties resulting in a particularly low supply of energy.

Some disabled people may not be fatigued so much by their disabilities themselves, as by the constant effort required to pass in society as non-disabled.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2018 2:30 pm 

Cnuasach spúnóg

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2018 5:05 pm 

Either cnuasaigh or bailigh could work:

cnuasach spúnóg
bailiú spúnóg

collection of spoons

ag cnuasach spúnóg
ag bailiú spúnóg

collecting spoons

In context, there may be nuanced differences, with cnuasaigh sometimes meaning "to store up", and bailigh meaning "to gather together", but they are largely interchangeable.

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2018 1:55 am 

I thank you both for the effort.
Very much appreciated.

I still haven't found a tutor in San Francisco. No one will even refer me to someone. It's pretty discouraging to be honest. Didn't think for a moment I'd be greeted with open arms, but this feels like sight unseen folks already made up their minds about me