It is currently Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ogham Writing
PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug 2018 10:18 am 

Afternoon,

I would also like some confirmation before getting tattoo'd. I would like to get my son's name, "Niall" and the word "Trybe" in Ogham.

I do not trust the online translators and seeing as tattoos are permanent I would appreciate someone helping me out.

Thank you, Linda

Post subject: Re: Ogham Writing
PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2018 1:09 am 

Niall wrote:
Afternoon,

I would also like some confirmation before getting tattoo'd. I would like to get my son's name, "Niall" and the word "Trybe" in Ogham.

I do not trust the online translators and seeing as tattoos are permanent I would appreciate someone helping me out.

Thank you, Linda

The ogham alphabet does not have the letter y, so straight away this isn't going to be possible to transliterate into ogham.

However, this is what your son's name would look like in ogham:

᚛ᚅᚔᚐᚂᚂ᚜

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2018 5:57 am 

Niall wrote:
Afternoon,

Thank you, Linda

What does "trybe" mean?

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018 2:15 pm 

Trybe is just Tribe spelt differently

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018 2:18 pm 

Ade wrote:
Niall wrote:
Afternoon,

Thank you, Linda

The ogham alphabet does not have the letter y, so straight away this isn't going to be possible to transliterate into ogham.

However, this is what your son's name would look like in ogham:

᚛ᚅᚔᚐᚂᚂ᚜

Many thanks for this, do not want to have a tattoo that I think says something and it actually means something else. Niall looks really good.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018 2:23 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
Niall wrote:
Afternoon,

Thank you, Linda

What does "trybe" mean?

Redwolf

Our shop is Trybe Ink, it is just our way of spelling tribe. The ethos behind Trybe Ink is exactly that, a Tribe. A singular consciousness of people wanting to not only "ink up" but build a memory, a moment in time, to celebrate their journey.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018 2:24 pm 

Thank you for the assistance already.

How would one write "Evan"

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018 2:25 am 

Niall wrote:
Afternoon,

Thank you, Linda

In case you're interested, Niall, is actually and Irish name, and would have been something like *NÉLLOS if it existed when ogam was being written (i.e. in the Primitive-Irish period).

You can check out what it looks like from:

https://ogham.co/?q=n%C3%A9llos (the link is from the nascanna úsáídeacha)

As regards 'trybe', I would suggest treabh 'tribe', or tuath 'polity/ tribe'; these would have been sometime like *TREBÁ, *TÚATÁ in primitive Irish.

Cian

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018 8:23 am 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Niall wrote:
Afternoon,

Thank you, Linda

In case you're interested, Niall, is actually and Irish name, and would have been something like *NÉLLOS if it existed when ogam was being written (i.e. in the Primitive-Irish period).

You can check out what it looks like from:

https://ogham.co/?q=n%C3%A9llos (the link is from the nascanna úsáídeacha)

As regards 'trybe', I would suggest treabh 'tribe', or tuath 'polity/ tribe'; these would have been sometime like *TREBÁ, *TÚATÁ in primitive Irish.

Cian

You have been absolutely awesome. Thank you VERY VERY much for all your assistance. Much appreciated!!!
Have a fabulous weekend.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2018 4:54 pm 

Niall wrote:

You have been absolutely awesome. Thank you VERY VERY much for all your assistance. Much appreciated!!!
Have a fabulous weekend.

You're very welcome.

However, wait for three to agree.

I'd recommend going with the Old Irish versions: i.e. Néll, Treb/ Túath, as these are attested.

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)