It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Learning Irish...
PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2018 9:22 pm 

Can anyone tell me where I can learn Irish? Some apps, books, websites ... I'm very interested in learning it, but I don't know how.

Post subject: Re: Learning Irish...
PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2018 11:10 pm 

Freya E. wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can learn Irish? Some apps, books, websites ... I'm very interested in learning it, but I don't know how.

Lots of options here:

https://thegeekygaeilgeoir.wordpress.co ... -duolingo/

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:02 am 

Freya E. wrote:

I would recommend the free Philo-Celtic Society classes Redwolf mentions in her blog post. You will have email access to real live person and you will be using a good textbook.

Another possibility that appeared after Redwolf published that blog post is Irish 101 from Dublin City University. DCU has said that they want to offer Irish classes up to degree level, and so far they have four four-week modules with a fifth rolling out at the end of September. The classes are free, but you can pay a fee and have permanent access to the pages. Go to http://www.futurelearn.com and search for Irish 101. If they don't have a course starting soon, put Irish 101 on your 'wishlist' and they will notify you when the next class is starting.

In any case, I think you should have a grammar book to answer questions that come up. Irish Grammar You Really Need to Know (ISBN-10: 1444189573), by Éamonn Ó Donaill is good and not too hard to understand.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:33 am 

Redwolf wrote:
Freya E. wrote:

Lots of options here:

I will never be grateful enough to you. I have looked at the page and it is incredible. I didn't even know I can find all this interesting information in one place. Thank you very very much!

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018 12:49 am 

KathyM wrote:
Freya E. wrote:

I would recommend the free Philo-Celtic Society classes Redwolf mentions in her blog post. You will have email access to real live person and you will be using a good textbook.

Another possibility that appeared after Redwolf published that blog post is Irish 101 from Dublin City University. DCU has said that they want to offer Irish classes up to degree level, and so far they have four four-week modules with a fifth rolling out at the end of September. The classes are free, but you can pay a fee and have permanent access to the pages. Go to http://www.futurelearn.com and search for Irish 101. If they don't have a course starting soon, put Irish 101 on your 'wishlist' and they will notify you when the next class is starting.

In any case, I think you should have a grammar book to answer questions that come up. Irish Grammar You Really Need to Know (ISBN-10: 1444189573), by Éamonn Ó Donaill is good and not too hard to understand.

Thank you. I'm really really grateful, I promise. This is amazing! I'm looking at all that you're telling me and it's super useful and wonderful. Thank you again!

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 7:48 pm 

Freya E. wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
Freya E. wrote:

Lots of options here:

I will never be grateful enough to you. I have looked at the page and it is incredible. I didn't even know I can find all this interesting information in one place. Thank you very very much!

The work she has done is truly amazing. Learning Irish needn't be as hard as it might seem, with the work of such wonderful people!