It is currently Sat 20 Oct 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:29 pm
Posts: 3
Greetings, looking for some help in translating the following for a group please?:

"Blessed Valley of the Fox"

"Blessed Valley of the Foxes"

Looking for a GM translation and pronunciation guide too.

Thanks everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: An Astráil
Oak_Shaman wrote:
Greetings, looking for some help in translating the following for a group please?:

"Blessed Valley of the Fox"

"Blessed Valley of the Foxes"

Looking for a GM translation and pronunciation guide too.

Thanks everyone.

Gleann Beannaithe an tSionnaigh "Blessed Valley of the Fox"
giLOWN BAN-ih-hih on tyON-ig (GM)
/g´l´auN b´æNəhə əN t´oNig/

Gleann Beannaithe na Sionnach "Blessed Valley of the Foxes"
giLOWN BAN-ih-hih nuh shu-NAHKH (GM)
/g´l´auN b´æNəhə Nə s´oNəx/

Await further input ...

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018 2:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:29 pm
Posts: 3
Could someone please verify if this is correctly spelled in Gaelic:

"An Glean Naofa an Sionnagh"

Does this translate to: "The Sacred Glen of the Foxes"?

Thanks people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: An Astráil
Oak_Shaman wrote:
Could someone please verify if this is correctly spelled in Gaelic:

"An Glean Naofa an Sionnagh"

Does this translate to: "The Sacred Glen of the Foxes"?

Thanks people!

Hi, since this post relates to the previous topic you posted, I've merged the new topic back into the old one. Please don't start a new topic for confirmation or even for slight variations on a theme. Just bump this one and ask for more input.

That translation is incorrect for the following reasons:

1. In Irish you can't have two definite articles (an/na) in the same compound so the first one should be dropped.

2. Gleann has two n's in Irish.

3. The genitive plural of an Sionnach is na Sionnach "of the Foxes", genitive singular is an tSionnaigh "of the Fox".

4. Naofa can be used for "sacred, holy". Other options are beannaithe "blessed, holy", diaga "divine, godly", sácráilte "consecrated".

Going with naofa, the above translation should be:

Gleann Naofa na Sionnach "Sacred Glen of the Foxes"

Await further input ...

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:29 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks for all the help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3445
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Breandán wrote:
Oak_Shaman wrote:
Could someone please verify if this is correctly spelled in Gaelic:

"An Glean Naofa an Sionnagh"

Does this translate to: "The Sacred Glen of the Foxes"?

Thanks people!

Hi, since this post relates to the previous topic you posted, I've merged the new topic back into the old one. Please don't start a new topic for confirmation or even for slight variations on a theme. Just bump this one and ask for more input.

That translation is incorrect for the following reasons:

1. In Irish you can't have two definite articles (an/na) in the same compound so the first one should be dropped.

2. Gleann has two n's in Irish.

3. The genitive plural of an Sionnach is na Sionnach "of the Foxes", genitive singular is an tSionnaigh "of the Fox".

4. Naofa can be used for "sacred, holy". Other options are beannaithe "blessed, holy", diaga "divine, godly", sácráilte "consecrated".

Going with naofa, the above translation should be:

Gleann Naofa na Sionnach "Sacred Glen of the Foxes"

Await further input ...


I second all of this.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 606
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Breandán wrote:
Oak_Shaman wrote:
Greetings, looking for some help in translating the following for a group please?:

"Blessed Valley of the Fox"

"Blessed Valley of the Foxes"

Looking for a GM translation and pronunciation guide too.

Thanks everyone.

Gleann Beannaithe an tSionnaigh "Blessed Valley of the Fox"
giLOWN BAN-ih-hih on tyON-ig (GM)
/g´l´auN b´æNəhə əN t´oNig/

Gleann Beannaithe na Sionnach "Blessed Valley of the Foxes"
giLOWN BAN-ih-hih nuh SHON-ukh (GM)
/g´l´auN b´æNəhə Nə s´oNəx/

Await further input ...



To my knowledge ... this translation looks perfect!

I actually think it's a very beautiful name for a valley. To me the version with beannaithe sounds prettier than the one with naofa. Either way, I think it sounds like a lovely place.

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 10:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 931
Cúmhaí wrote:
I actually think it's a very beautiful name for a valley. To me the version with beannaithe sounds prettier than the one with naofa. Either way, I think it sounds like a lovely place.


Isn't "beannaithe" (< lat. benedictus) a very Christian term?

In "Neo Pagan" contexts, I'd prefer naofa.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 11:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 725
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Breandán wrote:
Gleann Beannaithe an tSionnaigh "Blessed Valley of the Fox"
giLOWN BAN-ih-hih on tyON-ig (GM)
/g´l´auN b´æNəhə əN t´oNig/

Gleann Beannaithe na Sionnach "Blessed Valley of the Foxes"
giLOWN BAN-ih-hih nuh SHON-ukh (GM)
/g´l´auN b´æNəhə Nə s´oNəx/

Await further input ...

One small correction: sionnach has the stress on the 2nd syllable (in Munster, anyway) – shu-NACH :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug 2018 4:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1480
Labhrás wrote:
Cúmhaí wrote:
I actually think it's a very beautiful name for a valley. To me the version with beannaithe sounds prettier than the one with naofa. Either way, I think it sounds like a lovely place.


Isn't "beannaithe" (< lat. benedictus) a very Christian term?

In "Neo Pagan" contexts, I'd prefer naofa.


Good point.

Oak_Shaman, by Neo-pagan? Are you 'Celtic' Neo-pagan? I'm deducing that from your use of 'oak' in your name, since Celtic sacred groves were set in areas of oak woodland. Some of the earliest Irish monasteries were also constructed in areas of Oak woodland, e.g. Dar Inis, Doire etc..., leading many to the conclusion that these were also sacred pre-Christian sites.

This might be reading too much into it, but, the Gaulish word for a 'sacred grove' is NEMETON; the first part of the word, i.e. NEM, is where we get Old Irish nem > neamh 'Heaven'.

Given this context, the adjective neamhthaí might be an option. The problem though is that in Modern Irish, neamhthaí means 'heavenly', 'celestial', more so than 'sacred', or 'blessed'--so it would lead to confusion. It just depends if you're (Oak_Shaman) OK with sacrificing the overall meaning in favour of keeping the connection with NEMETON.

Gleann neamhthaí an tSionnaigh
Gleann neamhthaí na Sionnach

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group