It is currently Wed 12 Dec 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018 6:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 31 Jul 2018 6:12 am
Posts: 2
Hi all!

I've been wanting to get a tattoo of the phrase "with pain comes strength" in (CO) standard Irish language and I've researched a bit and have seen a few different translations. I was just wondering if this translation "(Is) leis an phian a thagann an neart" is the most accurate? I've seen a couple people say this is the most accurate one, but I wanted to double check. This tattoo is very important to me because my heritage is Irish and I lost my father a few years ago, so this phrase stuck out to me.

Thank you for your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: An Astráil
dempseygirl94 wrote:
Hi all!

I've been wanting to get a tattoo of the phrase "with pain comes strength" in (CO) standard Irish language and I've researched a bit and have seen a few different translations. I was just wondering if this translation "(Is) leis an phian a thagann an neart" is the most accurate? I've seen a couple people say this is the most accurate one, but I wanted to double check. This tattoo is very important to me because my heritage is Irish and I lost my father a few years ago, so this phrase stuck out to me.

Thank you for your help!

Judging by the comments in a previous thread, which can be found here, I would say there are already two votes for:

Leis an phian a thagann an neart (GU)

I'll add my vote to bring it to three. (Is everyone okay with leaving Is off?)

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Last edited by Breandán on Tue 31 Jul 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to indicate the OP's original version is Ulster Irish (GU)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018 9:02 am 
Online

Joined: Fri 08 Jan 2016 11:37 pm
Posts: 79
I’ll just add that in Munster and Connacht leis an typically causes eclipsis (from old accusative), not lenition, so leis an bpian a thagann an neart, lenition (coming from old dative) is typical for Ulster: leis an phian a thagann an neart. An Caighdeán Oifigiúil (the official standard) accepts both forms.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: An Astráil
silmeth wrote:
I’ll just add that in Munster and Connacht leis an typically causes eclipsis (from old accusative), not lenition, so leis an bpian a thagann an neart, lenition (coming from old dative) is typical for Ulster: leis an phian a thagann an neart. An Caighdeán Oifigiúil (the official standard) accepts both forms.

Actually, you are right, that would be Ulster dialect. It would be considered standard only if you were consistent in using other Ulster forms.

For a more neutral form, it should be:

Leis an bpian a thagann an neart. (CO)

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 31 Jul 2018 6:12 am
Posts: 2
So I should go with “Leis an bpian a thagann an neart.” for the tattoo?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: An Astráil
dempseygirl94 wrote:
So I should go with “Leis an bpian a thagann an neart.” for the tattoo?

That would be more dialect-neutral. Better wait for more confirmation now that we've changed it ...

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 606
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Breandán wrote:
silmeth wrote:
I’ll just add that in Munster and Connacht leis an typically causes eclipsis (from old accusative), not lenition, so leis an bpian a thagann an neart, lenition (coming from old dative) is typical for Ulster: leis an phian a thagann an neart. An Caighdeán Oifigiúil (the official standard) accepts both forms.

Actually, you are right, that would be Ulster dialect. It would be considered standard only if you were consistent in using other Ulster forms.

For a more neutral form, it should be:

Leis an bpian a thagann an neart. (CO)


To me this looks to be exactly right! Also I wanted to say it is a beautiful message, even while I personally do not wish to have a tattoo.

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], EAMONeamon, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], silmeth and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group