It is currently Tue 19 Jun 2018 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2018 12:13 am 

Hi,
I'm creating some graphics that include fake "druid engineering diagrams" from 2000 years ago (all fictional stuff of course! :-). Could anyone tell me how measurements may have been annotated? It's a bit of a hybrid solution that I'm looking for and I'd have to use Arabic numerals, but what "units" of length would have been used i.e. how would a distance of "100 metres" (or thereabouts) have been written? What units? Any abbreviation like "100m"?

A bit obscure maybe, but thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2018 2:18 pm 

What you're asking is well nigh impossible. The earliest written evidence of Irish would probably be inscriptions in Ogham and they don't go back to the time you're talking about. There are references to measurements in the Brehon Laws, but again that's much later.

https://sizes.com/units/tir_cumaile.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Irish ... easurement

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2018 2:23 pm 

I thought it may be tricky! Thank you for the information. I'll try to concoct something plausible!

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018 10:29 am 

I've been looking at this again, because I remember reading a book by Professor Alexander Thom about measuring distances between and the dimensions of megalithic monuments in Brittany and elsewhere. It must be said that his work hasn't been completely accepted as valid by others working in the field, but nevertheless Howard Crowhurst has carried on with it. Their books are available and they also present their work on YouTube.

Alexander Thom - Cracking the Stone Age Code (BBC - but's still available on YouTube)

Howard Crowhurst - www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCYx9Epfzsk

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2018 6:05 pm 

OP, you are probably aware, but often fantasy and other things set in the distant past use "hands" and other body-part-inspired measurements (not unlike feet in real English)