It is currently Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018 4:42 pm 

My son was born with a congenital heart defect and I wanted to get a tattoo in honor of him while tying it into our Irish heritage. I tried looking up in previously posted forums for how to say "heart warrior," but I wanted to check to make sure I had it right.

1.) Would "heart warrior" translate to ghaiscígh croí or laoch croí - with ghaiscígh meaning a literal warrior and laoch meaning hero or more of a symbolic meaning of the word warrior?

2.) I've seen some spellings of chroí with an "h" instead of croí. Which is correct?

3.) I was also thinking about how to translate the phrase - "half the heart, twice the fight." Can anyone help with that translation?

Thanks! Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018 6:21 pm 

Also-does the translation change if I rephrased it to say “warrior’s heart” or “heart for a warrior” if I preferred those instead of “heart warrior”?

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018 1:09 am 

kmoran wrote:
My son was born with a congenital heart defect and I wanted to get a tattoo in honor of him while tying it into our Irish heritage. I tried looking up in previously posted forums for how to say "heart warrior," but I wanted to check to make sure I had it right.

1.) Would "heart warrior" translate to ghaiscígh croí or laoch croí - with ghaiscígh meaning a literal warrior and laoch meaning hero or more of a symbolic meaning of the word warrior?

2.) I've seen some spellings of chroí with an "h" instead of croí. Which is correct?

3.) I was also thinking about how to translate the phrase - "half the heart, twice the fight." Can anyone help with that translation?

Thanks! Much appreciated.

1) gaiscíoch = warrior (g[h]aiscígh is genitive, "warrior's")

2) Lenition (insertion of h) is a grammar rule.
That's why gaiscíoch croí (a heart warrior) but gaiscígh chroí (a heart warrior's, of a heart warrior),
e.g. croí an ghaiscígh chroí (the heart of the heart warrior)

3) leath an chroí, dhá oiread na troda (?)

kmoran wrote:
Also-does the translation change if I rephrased it to say “warrior’s heart” or “heart for a warrior” if I preferred those instead of “heart warrior”?

gaiscíoch croí = a heart warrior
croí gaiscígh = a warrior's heart

laoch croí = a heart warrior
croí laoich = a warrior's heart

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018 1:42 am 

kmoran wrote:
3.) I was also thinking about how to translate the phrase - "half the heart, twice the fight."

for number 3) I think we will need to think of something better. I am thinking:

leath an chroí, neart faoi thrí (half the heart, three times the strength)
I am always partial to meter and rhyme :)

or does that sound rather too clever?

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2018 8:41 am 

Or give me suggestions on what print to use?

PostPosted: Thu 24 May 2018 12:03 am 

Thank you for the replies! I do appreciate the answers as well as the explanations. It was very helpful! I think I like "croí laoich" (a warrior's heart) the best and will fit best in the space I'm looking to get the tattoo. Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul 2018 2:03 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
3) leath an chroí, dhá oiread na troda

I know the OP has already decided on something else, but this looks okay. :good:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).