It is currently Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018 3:04 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I don't know meaning but I'd guess it could be that he was happy walking on the beach, as in beach-combing. It was a habit people had in the old days when shipwrecks were common.

So do you think Ade may have had it right, a Bhríd, that he was perhaps trailing the cords of the harp along the beach? In that case, I can't figure out how to work in the a bhí seunmhar part. Maybe something like "He trailed the cords along the beach, where he had been joyful"?

Ade could very well be right. I don't know. But that is not what I meant. He could've been happy beachcombing. This is the diffinition of beachcombing in wikipedia, they can explain better than I can -
Beachcombing is an activity that consists of an individual "combing" (or searching) the beach and the intertidal zone, looking for things of value, interest or utility.
That could be where the "scuabadh" comes from. People don't do it as much nowadays but long ago it was possible to get all sorts of treasures from shipwreaks.

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018 10:33 pm 

That translation to Irish of Thomas Moore's (English) poem/song dates from 1858 hence the old spelling. In the 'Seanlitriú' the modern trá ('strand, beach') was spelled tráigh. The trá in the song is apparently a variant of tráth ('hour, time, occasion, moment'), so a (nearly) literal translation would be: 'he swept away the happy time'. More or less what Cúmhaí said.