It is currently Wed 23 May 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tattoo
PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2018 10:38 pm 

Hello,
I am wanting to get a tattoo in the following months, to be honest I haven't even thought about booking the appointment until I 1000% sure I have what I need. I am looking to get "you are strong" and don't want to have something on my body that isn't right. :oops: Thank you

Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2018 6:52 pm 

Kathleenh0409 wrote:
Hello,
I am wanting to get a tattoo in the following months, to be honest I haven't even thought about booking the appointment until I 1000% sure I have what I need. I am looking to get "you are strong" and don't want to have something on my body that isn't right. :oops: Thank you

Tá tú láidir. = You (1 person) are strong.
Tá sibh láidir. = You (more than 1 person) are strong.

Má tá tú láidir, bí grástúil. = If you are strong, be merciful.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2018 5:50 pm 

Thank you everyone for your quick reply I have also gotten the answer: bhfuil tú láidir. I just would like clarification for myself and my sanity the correct translation so I can be ready when I make my appointment everything is good to go and I don't have the wrong phrase on my body forever. :panic: :good: 8O :cry: :guiness: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2018 6:05 pm 

Kathleenh0409 wrote:
Thank you everyone for your quick reply I have also gotten the answer: bhfuil tú láidir. I just would like clarification for myself and my sanity the correct translation so I can be ready when I make my appointment everything is good to go and I don't have the wrong phrase on my body forever. :panic: :good: 8O :cry: :guiness: :clap:

bhfuil (instead of tá) is used in questions, following a lot of particles and subjunctions etc., but not in a statement.

E.g.
An bhfuil tú láidir go leor? = Are you strong enough?
Ceapaim go bhfuil tú láidir. = I think that you are strong.
etc.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018 4:01 am 

Dear Kathleen,

Definitely do not use "bhfuil tú láidir"

Tá tú láidir is the correct way to say "You are strong" regarding a single person

There are other ways to say strong other than láidir if you do not like the word, but there are no other ways to correctly express "you are" (in regards to one person) appropriately in this situation. Think of "bhfuil tú láidir" as something like "you is strong" where the basic meaning might be the same, but the words do not go together suitably

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018 5:35 pm 

Awesome thank you!! I am trying to get something small that says you are strong, just one person. Three words, simple, to the point that I can see everyday as a reminder, that's pretty much it and I know that I've said this a lot as I would like not to have something that there forever on my skin and it be the wrong thing. Also I hate being "that guy" but I would rather fact check this ten million times over than just a few times as I have never gotten tattoo in another language and I'd feel pretty dumb if I was all excited, got my tattoo and it wasn't right. I would have wasted time, money, and not to mention I'd have to around the rest of my life with a tattoo fail. Also how to pronounce it would be amazing! :computer: :bash: :dhera: :bolt: :cry: :hide:

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2018 9:35 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
Tá tú láidir. = You (1 person) are strong.

:good:

And how to say it:
https://app.box.com/s/07az5qdg8hr3b22touoauszxttyj6y60

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr 2018 8:09 pm 

Kathleenh0409 wrote:
I'd feel pretty dumb if I was all excited, got my tattoo and it wasn't right. I would have wasted time, money, and not to mention I'd have to around the rest of my life with a tattoo fail.

You are wise not to want that. It is so easy to do with a language you don't know, and unfortunately so common. The biggest piece of advice I can give is NEVER try to get a tattoo in Arabic.
Of all the embarrassing hideously wrong things I have seen, the Arabic ones are the worst. Many computers do not display Arabic correctly, so people get tattoos based on what they found online and they end up being backwards, upside down, disconnected.... and permanent! :(

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr 2018 9:19 pm 

Well it looks like I have an appointment opportunity next Wednesday the 9th, over the weekend I found an Irish Gaelic tattoo handbook that I have ordered for added security. I want this tattoo to be perfect, correct, and beautiful. Now I am in a bit of a jam as I want this to be a simple 3 word phrase. Saying that I do have some thoughts "you are beautiful" or "I am strong" I have had everything thought out since last year and I'm just asking if there is a difference between "I am strong" and "You are strong"? :dhera: :idea: :?: :S :facepalm: :guiness:

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018 3:13 pm 

Kathleenh0409 wrote:
I'm just asking if there is a difference between "I am strong" and "You are strong"?

Of course there is a difference, it's two different pronouns, and two different meanings, just like in English.

I am strong - Tá láidir.

You are strong - Tá láidir.

And those accents must be included.