It is currently Mon 21 Sep 2020 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2011 6:01 am 

Hello all,

What is the difference between ó and as? They both seem to mean "from" and "out of."

kind regards,

Swisscheese

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2011 10:57 am 

Well, based on the Lars Braesicke site, hosted on nualeargais, here is a list showing how they overlap quite a lot:

Space/time/location
origin from: from Dublin, etc. (with the copula!) Is as Béal Feirste é = He is from Belfast
starting point of a motion from: as sin go Éirinn = from there to Ireland, i bhfad as seo = far from here
locational information about a quality (on/at): géar as an mbarr = sharp at the tip

distance from: míle uaidh = a mile away (from)
distance / loss / absence : Is cuma liom agam nó uaim é = I don't care if I have it or not, is fearr d'fhear bean chéile uaidh
out of : bí ó bhaol = out of danger
limit: from ...on: ó 10 míle suas = from 10 miles upwards, ó cúig phunt go deich bpunt = from 5 to 10 pounds
from ....to(ó...go): ó thús go deireadh = from beginning to end, ó lá go lá = from day to day, óna hocht go dtí a naoi = from 8-9, ó am go ham =from time to time
with numbers: less, minus (note the reverse order as in English or German!): a dó óna trí sin a haon = 3 - 2 = 1 (lit: "2 from the 3 that-is 1")

Sensory
Tá baladh as an madadh = the dog smells, Tá cor as an cáca = the cake is moving

Origin
origin of a name: baisteadh as a athair é = one named him after his father
origin of knowledge: aithním as a shúil é = I recognized him by his stride
origin of a deduction: tuigim as = that's how I understand it
psych. origin of an action : as fearg = out of anger, etc.
origin of pride, gratitude : tá bród orm asat = I am proud of you ("is pride on me out of you "), go raibh maith agat as an obair seo = thank you for this work

spatial point of origin: from: tar ón bposta = come from the mail
temporal starting point: from / since : ón Nollaig = since Christmas, ó mhaidin = since this morning, ó Lá Fhéile Eoin amach = from St. John's Eve on ,
also as a conjunction since: ó bhí sí tinn = since she was sick
origin of, from fear ó Thrá Lí = a man from Tralee
applied point of origin: from: litir uait = a letter from you, cabhair ó chairde = help from friends

Material/medium
constitution out of : out of fabric / material as an éadach
in / with a medium: nigh as uisce é = wash it in (with) water
in a language : as Gaeilge = in Irish, as Gearmáinis = in German

State
gen. out of : as amharc = out of sight, as cuimse = off the scale (opposite in = ar: ar amharc = in sight)
outside of a normal function : as ordú = out of order, as úsaid = out of use, as bealach = off-track (=being wrong/following a misconception)
lack of: as obair = out of work , tá ... as ... = not have (as opposed to tá ... ag = have)
out of : as guais = out of danger, as an imirt = out of the game
selection of: bain rogha as = choose out of, duine as béirt = one of the two
engagement in : tá as rud = to be into something ("to get something out of something")
adverbial to be off : Tá .... as, Tá an raidió as = the radio is off , turn off : cas ... as, Chas mé an tine as = I put out the fire
adverbial to not belong, be out : tá mé as = I'm out .
adverbial alone: as féin: tá mé ag súil as féin = I walk alone
adverbial be alone : tá as ... féin, e.g. Tá asainn féin anois = we're alone now

reason: bodhar ó thorann = deaf from the noise, tuirseach ó shiúil = tired from walking
with adjectives: deas uait = nice of you, maith uainn = good of us
with adjective: is breá uait = do (sth.) well
needs need, want : tá + object + ó + subject, or teastíonn + object + ó + subject, or tá + object + ag teastáil + ó + subject: tá spóirt uaim (also teastaíonn spóirt uaim) = I want to have fun, tá bainne uait (teastíonn bainne uait) = you need milk, teastíonn uaim labhairt leat = I want to speak to you

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2011 1:25 pm 

Or to summarise:

ó is "from (a point)"

as is "out of/from inside".

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).