It is currently Tue 23 Jan 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan 2018 8:07 pm 

Hello there!

I hope I am on the good forum/thread for this...

About one year ago my grandfather suddenly passed away. Since he loved travelling to Ireland (I also recently discovered the beauty), I thought it would be a good idea to remember him with a tattoo in some Irish-style. So I found out about Ogham and was interested, because it is more "cryptic". (I don't like words/sentences just written on the body)

"André" was his name, which is quite easy to convert to Ogham. But then I thought I should be looking for more information to put it more in a "historically correct context", and so I found out there are a few different variations of his name in Irish: Aindrias, Aindréas; Aindriú

Questions:
1) Can anyone tell me about the difference between these names?
2) What is the best way to convert this to Ogham?

I hope someone could help me out with this

Thanks in advance for the help :)

(ps: apologies in case of grammar/spelling mistakes. This is not my native language and did not want to use Google Translate for it)

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan 2018 11:31 pm 

joeri.b wrote:
Hello there!

I hope I am on the good forum/thread for this...

About one year ago my grandfather suddenly passed away. Since he loved travelling to Ireland (I also recently discovered the beauty), I thought it would be a good idea to remember him with a tattoo in some Irish-style. So I found out about Ogham and was interested, because it is more "cryptic". (I don't like words/sentences just written on the body)

"André" was his name, which is quite easy to convert to Ogham. But then I thought I should be looking for more information to put it more in a "historically correct context", and so I found out there are a few different variations of his name in Irish: Aindrias, Aindréas; Aindriú

Questions:
1) Can anyone tell me about the difference between these names?
2) What is the best way to convert this to Ogham?

I hope someone could help me out with this

Thanks in advance for the help :)

(ps: apologies in case of grammar/spelling mistakes. This is not my native language and did not want to use Google Translate for it)

The three versions of the name are interchangeable. According to Woulfe's Irish Names for Children, the first two may have become popular first in Scotland, and may have been based on the Greek form of the name, but all three were used in Ireland, and were especially popular among the Norman-Irish. In my family, the surname McAndrew occurs in a Norman-Irish branch, and its Irish form is Mac Aindriú.

Ogham died out over 1500 years ago, and was probably only used for a few centuries, though its main use was apparently for inscribing names. You might want to choose a traditional font instead, something like this:

Aindriú