It is currently Sun 16 Dec 2018 2:50 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:07 pm
Posts: 7
Translation of "every form of refuge has its price" (CO)

This in memory of Irish ancestors who came to the US and rejected everything about Ireland because it was too painful to remember.

Thank you for your assistance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1388
lodoran wrote:
Translation of "every form of refuge has its price" (CO)
This in memory of Irish ancestors who came to the US and rejected everything about Ireland because it was too painful to remember.
Thank you for your assistance.

There are a number of words which can be used to say "price" in irish, but some (like luach) have other uses which which might make the meaning ambiguous. Here are two possibilities, using a traditional way of phrasing such proverbs:

This one uses only traditional Irish words, and sounds very pithy to me:
Níl tearmann gan íoc
There's no refuge without a price [payment]

This one uses a loan word from English for "price", but it may be clearer in the end:
Níl tearmann gan praghas
There's no refuge without a price

Definitely wait for other comments before inking anything.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
CaoimhínSF wrote:
lodoran wrote:
Translation of "every form of refuge has its price" (CO)
This in memory of Irish ancestors who came to the US and rejected everything about Ireland because it was too painful to remember.
Thank you for your assistance.

There are a number of words which can be used to say "price" in irish, but some (like luach) have other uses which which might make the meaning ambiguous. Here are two possibilities, using a traditional way of phrasing such proverbs:

This one uses only traditional Irish words, and sounds very pithy to me:
Níl tearmann gan íoc
There's no refuge without a price [payment]

This one uses a loan word from English for "price", but it may be clearer in the end:
Níl tearmann gan praghas
There's no refuge without a price

Definitely wait for other comments before inking anything.


I like both of these.

Would it also be possible to do a variation on "Ní neart go cur le chéile"? I'm not certain if the second part of this saying needs to start with a verb.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:07 pm
Posts: 7
Thank you both. So far my Gaelic is limited to using a dictionary. Not a lot of Irish speakers in Seattle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
lodoran wrote:
Thank you both. So far my Gaelic is limited to using a dictionary. Not a lot of Irish speakers in Seattle.


Actually there may be more than you think. I have a friend in Seattle who is a fluent speaker. If you like, I can ask her if she knows of resources in your area.

I didn't think there were many Irish speakers near where I live either until someone suggested I join Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann (a fellowship of Irish musicians) and I came across an ad for sean-nós singing classes. The rest, as they say, is history.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017 12:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:07 pm
Posts: 7
That would be lovely - thanks. Seattle used to have a wonderful Irish store where you could find marvelous resources, but unfortunately it closed. Any resource help will be greatly appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3454
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
lodoran wrote:
That would be lovely - thanks. Seattle used to have a wonderful Irish store where you could find marvelous resources, but unfortunately it closed. Any resource help will be greatly appreciated.


I'll ask her then.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2018 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:07 pm
Posts: 7
Hi - Have received only two replies, so am assuming that the translation is correct.
Thanks all for your help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2693
Níl tearmann gan praghas. :good:


CaoimhínSF wrote:
Níl tearmann gan íoc

Personally I'd use "íocaíocht" or maybe "íoc as" to sound more natural. But I see "íoc" is in the dictionary as a noun, so that is probably correct too then. Wait for more grammar experts to comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug 2018 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 14 Dec 2017 6:07 pm
Posts: 7
Tattoo day is tomorrow. Going to go with "nil tearmann gan ioaiocht, " since that or "nil tearmann gan ioc" both appear to be correct. If not, please let me know.
Thanks to all,
Lyn


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group