It is currently Mon 16 Jul 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 39
Hi I just have a quick question here,

I wanted to say "it(the moon) shines", can I say "teastaíonn sí"? I don't see that usually and instead often see "tá sí ag teastáil" but the first one sounds much better in a poem I'm writing so I was wondering if it's acceptable


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2017 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1353
An Sionnach Glic wrote:
Hi I just have a quick question here,

I wanted to say "it(the moon) shines", can I say "teastaíonn sí"? I don't see that usually and instead often see "tá sí ag teastáil" but the first one sounds much better in a poem I'm writing so I was wondering if it's acceptable

First off, that verb doesn't mean "shine". The verb you want is soilsigh. Secondly, the two verb forms you asked about have different purposes, as in English (though the second form exists in very few other European languages).

The first is for habitual action [which happens regularly, but is not necessarily happening right now]:
Soilsíonn an ghealach
The moon shiines
Soilsíonn sí
It shines

The second form is the "present progressive", for action which is underway right now:
Tá an ghealach ag soilsiú
The moon is shining
Tá sí ag soilsiú
It is shining

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2017 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 570
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
I am pretty sure what you were thinking of was "taitin" instead of "teastaigh"
The word "taitin" can mean both to shine and to please, which I assume is what you were thinking of instead lf "teastaigh" which just means to be wanted or to be lacking

You are correct that it is common to say "tá an ghrian/an ghealach ag taitneamh"
I have never heard "taitníonn sí" to mean she/it shines, but I wouldn't say it couldn't be right.

Of course "soilsiú" is correct as indicated above. But I am thinking you meant to ask about taitin/taitneamh

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 39
Cúmhaí wrote:
I am pretty sure what you were thinking of was "taitin" instead of "teastaigh"
The word "taitin" can mean both to shine and to please, which I assume is what you were thinking of instead lf "teastaigh" which just means to be wanted or to be lacking

You are correct that it is common to say "tá an ghrian/an ghealach ag taitneamh"
I have never heard "taitníonn sí" to mean she/it shines, but I wouldn't say it couldn't be right.

Of course "soilsiú" is correct as indicated above. But I am thinking you meant to ask about taitin/taitneamh

Yes sorry, I must have been alseep while writing my post, I meant 'taitin'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2017 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 39
CaoimhínSF wrote:
An Sionnach Glic wrote:
Hi I just have a quick question here,

I wanted to say "it(the moon) shines", can I say "teastaíonn sí"? I don't see that usually and instead often see "tá sí ag teastáil" but the first one sounds much better in a poem I'm writing so I was wondering if it's acceptable

First off, that verb doesn't mean "shine". The verb you want is soilsigh. Secondly, the two verb forms you asked about have different purposes, as in English (though the second form exists in very few other European languages).

The first is for habitual action [which happens regularly, but is not necessarily happening right now]:
Soilsíonn an ghealach
The moon shiines
Soilsíonn sí
It shines

The second form is the "present progressive", for action which is underway right now:
Tá an ghealach ag soilsiú
The moon is shining
Tá sí ag soilsiú
It is shining




Sorry as Cúmhaí pointed out I made a mistake. I meant "taitin" instead. Would it be acceptable to say "taitníonn sí" for "it shines"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec 2017 1:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1353
Quote:
Sorry as Cúmhaí pointed out I made a mistake. I meant "taitin" instead. Would it be acceptable to say "taitníonn sí" for "it shines"?

Yes, taitín would also work. I should have realized that was what you were going for. The grammatical situation is the same as for soilsigh, except that the verbal noun is different (see below).

Taitníonn an ghealach
The moon shiines
Taitníonn sí
It shines

The second form is the "present progressive", for action which is underway right now:
Tá an ghealach ag taitneamh
The moon is shining
Tá sí ag taitneamh
It is shining

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this correct?
PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 39
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
Sorry as Cúmhaí pointed out I made a mistake. I meant "taitin" instead. Would it be acceptable to say "taitníonn sí" for "it shines"?

Yes, taitín would also work. I should have realized that was what you were going for. The grammatical situation is the same as for soilsigh, except that the verbal noun is different (see below).

Taitníonn an ghealach
The moon shiines
Taitníonn sí
It shines

The second form is the "present progressive", for action which is underway right now:
Tá an ghealach ag taitneamh
The moon is shining
Tá sí ag taitneamh
It is shining

grma


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group