It is currently Sat 16 Dec 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017 4:25 am 

My dad used to have the same sign-off at the end of every voicemail message and I'm looking to have a pendant made with the phrases.
Be brave.
Be kind.
Be well.

I may eventually incorporate them into one of my tattoos, but for now I'd like to have them engraved on a charm. The jeweler can use his handwriting to create the phrases and I have some other things he wrote in, what I'm assuming, is standard Irish, but they are written in all capital letters so I'm not sure if it will look right on the pendant. If they can't engrave the phrases in his handwriting, then either standard or old spelling would work for the translation as it's more for the look of it than the sentimentality of his writing at that point. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Dec 2017 1:10 am 

TamraJ wrote:
My dad used to have the same sign-off at the end of every voicemail message and I'm looking to have a pendant made with the phrases.
Be brave.
Be kind.
Be well.

I may eventually incorporate them into one of my tattoos, but for now I'd like to have them engraved on a charm. The jeweler can use his handwriting to create the phrases and I have some other things he wrote in, what I'm assuming, is standard Irish, but they are written in all capital letters so I'm not sure if it will look right on the pendant. If they can't engrave the phrases in his handwriting, then either standard or old spelling would work for the translation as it's more for the look of it than the sentimentality of his writing at that point. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Bí calma
Be brave
Bí cineálta
Be kind
Bí slán
Be well

Since no one else has commented yet, I'm editing this to add another possibility. The response I gave above uses the imperative (command) form, as in the English original, but in Irish it strikes me as a bit peremptory (as in "Do this!"). You could also do it more like a blessing in this manner:

Go raibh tú calma
May you be brave
Go raibh tú cineálta
May you be kind
Go raibh tú slán sábháilte
May you be safe and sound

PostPosted: Sat 02 Dec 2017 10:05 pm 

I like the idea of the blessing, especially for "be well" as that's really what it was. (The other two were more of reminders to be the type of person who was brave and kind.) I really appreciate you offering the two options. I couldn't find a good translation with my limited language skills. I'll wait for confirmation and thank you.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec 2017 2:14 am 

TamraJ wrote:
I like the idea of the blessing, especially for "be well" as that's really what it was. (The other two were more of reminders to be the type of person who was brave and kind.) I really appreciate you offering the two options. I couldn't find a good translation with my limited language skills. I'll wait for confirmation and thank you.

I like what Caoimhín gave you. Just an addition...another word for "brave" is "croga."

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec 2017 4:40 am 

Redwolf wrote:
TamraJ wrote:

I like what Caoimhín gave you. Just an addition...another word for "brave" is "croga."

Redwolf

Is there a difference in meaning between the two or a regional preference/dialect? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec 2017 11:44 pm 

Quote:
Is there a difference in meaning between the two or a regional preference/dialect?

I don't know of any regional variations in use, though they may exist.

Each of the two words can mean "brave" pretty interchangeably (much as English has both "brave" and "courageous", which both come from Norman French), and each also has other meanings. The word "calma" can also have meanings like strong, stalwart, and splendid, and "cróga" (note the accent over the "o") can have meanings like hardy, active, and spirited.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec 2017 4:05 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
Is there a difference in meaning between the two or a regional preference/dialect?

I don't know of any regional variations in use, though they may exist.

Each of the two words can mean "brave" pretty interchangeably (much as English has both "brave" and "courageous", which both come from Norman French), and each also has other meanings. The word "calma" can also have meanings like strong, stalwart, and splendid, and "cróga" (note the accent over the "o") can have meanings like hardy, active, and spirited.

Thank you. I appreciate the nuance.