It is currently Sat 16 Dec 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017 12:00 am 

I'm hoping that someone with far more knowledge than myself can assist me in translating a line from the folk song "The Foggy Dew." I really connect with the line " 'Twas better to die 'neath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sud-El-Bar," and I would very much prefer that it were in Irish instead of English. I have attempted my own research and translations and produced a number of different variations. Any help in producing the best translation would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017 4:03 pm 

bballops17 wrote:
I'm hoping that someone with far more knowledge than myself can assist me in translating a line from the folk song "The Foggy Dew." I really connect with the line " 'Twas better to die 'neath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sud-El-Bar," and I would very much prefer that it were in Irish instead of English. I have attempted my own research and translations and produced a number of different variations. Any help in producing the best translation would be greatly appreciated!

If you've done some research, please post what you have, so we can tell you if it's OK and, if not, what's wrong with it. That's an important first step in translation, as you can't tell if what you've found works (or why we've suggested something different) otherwise.

Not even all correct translations will be the same, so withholding the ones you've found in the hopes that whatever we give you will match one of them is counter-productive.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov 2017 10:48 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
bballops17 wrote:

If you've done some research, please post what you have, so we can tell you if it's OK and, if not, what's wrong with it. That's an important first step in translation, as you can't tell if what you've found works (or why we've suggested something different) otherwise.

Not even all correct translations will be the same, so withholding the ones you've found in the hopes that whatever we give you will match one of them is counter-productive.

Redwolf

Like Redwolf said :good:

I'll give it a shot, but wait for confirmations or other translations.

'Twas better to die 'neath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sud-El-Bar,"

Ba bhfearr bás a fháil faoin spéir in Éirinn ná i Suvla nó i Sud-El-Bar

I'm not sure how to best say "Irish sky".

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017 1:49 am 

Quote:
Twas better to die 'neath an Irish sky than at Suvla or Sud-El-Bar,"
Ba bhfearr bás a fháil faoin spéir in Éirinn ná i Suvla nó i Sud-El-Bar

That looks good, and with the right use of meter it would even fit the tune nicely, but perhaps this would be a touch better:
Ba bhfearr bás a fháil faoin spéir Éireannach ná i Suvla nó i Sud-El-Bar

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017 3:32 pm 

Literally:

B'fhearr bás (a fháil) faoi spéir na hÉireann ná i S nó i SeB

- B'fhearr is the usual spelling.
- bás on its own means 'death', so you could omit the part in parentheses.

Edit: typo corrected

Last edited by Errigal on Tue 28 Nov 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017 4:20 pm 

Or:
B'fhearr liom marbh mé faoi spéir na hÉireann ná in Suvla nó in Sud-el-Bar.
= I'd better be dead under ...

Last edited by Labhrás on Wed 29 Nov 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov 2017 10:13 pm 

Labhrás wrote:

in Suvla nó in Sud-el-Bar.

Ah, yes :good:

Quote:
na hÉirinn
- A walk on the wild side, Labhrás? :)

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017 4:18 am 

Errigal wrote:
A walk on the wild side, Labhrás? :)

LOL

I think there is no reason to use the poem's spelling "Sud-el-Bar" in Irish, especially given that this alternative spelling (which seems only to appear in this poem) is very divergent from how the place's name should actually be pronounced. I would stick with either "Sedd el-Bahr" (correct latinised form of Ottoman name) or "Seddülbahir" (modern Turkish)

If you wanted to mimic the original and create a version that suggests to the reader someone who has never seen this word written and is approximating it in their language, perhaps you could use an Irish version like Sadalbaithir or Sadailbeithir