It is currently Mon 11 Dec 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov 2017 11:48 pm 

I've made a page with everything from CD 1 of the Learning Irish book by Ó Siadhail:

https://ciaran.compsoc.com/learning-iri ... cript.html

And for all the Irish texts that are read aloud, I've put the translation from the back of the book beside the Irish text.

The two main purposes are:

• When I want to know how a word or a group of letters is pronounced (in Cois Fhairrge), I can use Ctrl+f to see if it's on CD 1, and the page shows me what track and maybe at what time the word is used. CD 1 includes the words from the phonetics guide and the pronunciation appendixes.
  • The side-by-side translation is just easier than flipping back and forth between the chapter and the appendix.

I'll probably eventually do the other three CDs but this was way more work than I expected, so I'll probably leave it for after Christmas. I did see the PDF of the book, but it didn't actually help as much as I'd hoped.

Hope someone finds this useful!

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov 2017 11:45 pm 

I was just glancing at it and I noticed an error:

in this section: (b) Short vowels in spelling

you have "u(i)" but what you mean is "(u)i"

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov 2017 11:49 pm 

uadhadh
(in a stressed syllable) /u:əu:/ chuadhadh

^^ what is this?? is it a non-standard form of chuathas?

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov 2017 8:28 am 

Cúmhaí wrote:
you have "u(i)" but what you mean is "(u)i"

Fixed, thanks. Let me know if you spot any more. They should be rare though.

And suggestions for how to make the info more useful or improve the presentation are very welcome too. Now that we have the data in a clean format (it's hand-written, valid HTML), maybe there are new ways to use it.

For example, I was thinking of making a column in some tables to add the Foclóir Póca pronunciations alongside Ó Siadhail's. Or adding my learner's notes as I work through the chapters. Additions would be clearly marked to distinguish them from Ó Siadhail's work.

Cúmhaí wrote:
uadhadh
(in a stressed syllable) /u:əu:/ chuadhadh

^^ what is this?? is it a non-standard form of chuathas?

According to Kevin Scannell, yes. Kevin's written some interesting Irish language software including a caighdeaniser for converting dialect text:
Pota Focal (or see the source code, and specifically the file which seems to be the main list of words with replacements)

PostPosted: Sat 02 Dec 2017 1:56 pm 

Hi, would this be suitable for someone who is just starting to learn Irish?

PostPosted: Sat 02 Dec 2017 5:56 pm 

Castrodo wrote:
Hi, would this be suitable for someone who is just starting to learn Irish?

The page I made is for anyone using Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail. It has the words and texts from the book that are on the first of the four CDs that come with the book. I'll do the other CDs next year.

Is Ó Siadhail's book suitable for a beginner? I think the content is suitable, but the book is so badly organised that I gave up at chapter 12. But, people here with an advanced or native level of Irish say it's probably the best book available because (a) it teaches one specific dialect of Irish, instead of teaching the standard dialect (which is a compromise mix of the major dialects, developed by the government's translation department), and (b) it teaches upper-intermediate aspects of grammar, where most books stop at intermediate or upper-beginner.

So I want to use it, but I want to make some reference pages first to help me use the book without always wasting loads of time.

Another way to make Learning Irish easier would be to first do the book Colloquial Irish. It teaches the same dialect (the Cois Fhairrge subdialect of Connacht Irish) but it's easier. But it doesn't go as far as Learning Irish, so you'll still have a lot to learn in Learning Irish.

(The next page I might make is one with a list of the words used in the texts at the end of each chapter. In the book each chapter has a vocabulary list, then some grammar, then some texts to read, but the vocabulary list teaches words that never get used, and the texts contain words that haven't been taught. So when you don't understand a word in the text, you can look in the vocabulary list, but it mightn't be there, then in the back of the book, but it mightn't be there, or you can use your own dictionary, but if it's in non-standard spelling then it mightn't be there either. This gets annoying pretty quickly. Instead, I'd like to ignore the book's vocabulary lists and instead make my own lists which contain all the words used in the texts, and I'll learn those words at the start of each chapter.)

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec 2017 4:09 am 

Our man in Brussels wrote:
but the vocabulary list teaches words that never get used, and the texts contain words that haven't been taught.

Are you sure? The way I remember it when I went through it there were never any words that hadn't been taught.