It is currently Sat 18 Nov 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Pulse of my heart
PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 1:30 am 

Is this the correct way to write pulse of my heart If I am referring to my husband? Mo chuisle mo chroí Thank you in advance for your help :)

Post subject: Re: Pulse of my heart
PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 1:32 am 

Or would it be Cuisle mo chroí

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 1:49 am 

labellatorta wrote:
Is this the correct way to write pulse of my heart If I am referring to my husband? Mo chuisle mo chroí Thank you in advance for your help :)

Like that, no, it's incorrect. Like that it would render into English as something like "my pulse of my heart".

If you separated it with a comma, "mo cuisle, mo chroí" it would translate as "my pulse, my heart". To simply say "Pulse of my heart" you would say, in Irish, "cuisle mo chroí". In either case, you wouldn't say this to the person in question, rather, you would say it about them.

If you want to address the person you would use the vocative, "a cuisle mo chroí", "Oh pulse of my heart".

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 2:33 am 

Ade wrote:
labellatorta wrote:

Like that, no, it's incorrect. Like that it would render into English as something like "my pulse of my heart".

If you separated it with a comma, "mo cuisle, mo chroí" it would translate as "my pulse, my heart". To simply say "Pulse of my heart" you would say, in Irish, "cuisle mo chroí". In either case, you wouldn't say this to the person in question, rather, you would say it about them.

If you want to address the person you would use the vocative, "a cuisle mo chroí", "Oh pulse of my heart".

I can second this.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 9:00 am 

Ade wrote:
> a chuisle...

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 1:54 pm 

Errigal wrote:
Ade wrote:
> a chuisle...

It requires an h?

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 1:58 pm 

Ade wrote:
labellatorta wrote:

Thank you so very much for your detailed response. I greatly appreciate it :) May I ask if you agree with the other respondent in that there should be an h in cuisle?

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 2:33 pm 

labellatorta wrote:
Ade wrote:
labellatorta wrote:

Thank you so very much for your detailed response. I greatly appreciate it :) May I ask if you agree with the other respondent in that there should be an h in cuisle?

There should be a "h" there.

a chuisle mo chroí is correct.

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep 2017 4:12 pm 

Yes, it's what's known as the vocative - you put the particle 'a' in front of the name of whoever you are addressing, which means that the initial consonant of the name is 'softened' by placing an 'h' just after it. This changes the way it is pronounced - the 'c' pronounced as in 'corner' becomes 'ch' which is pronounced as the 'ch' at the end of 'loch'. If you used the word 'my/mo', that would imply that you were talking about him or her, ie not addressing them directly - mo also 'softens' the initial consonant of the word that follows it.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep 2017 6:55 pm 

But the "h" is only in the vocative version, just to be double clear, so if you are writing it somewhere or not talking directly to him, it will not be there.