It is currently Sat 18 Nov 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 14 May 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Fear Manach
Hi all,

Looking for a translation of the above.

Would Scoil Croí Ró-Naofa be correct?

Go raibh maith agaibh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1257
Ros Liath wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for a translation of the above.

Would Scoil Croí Ró-Naofa be correct?

Go raibh maith agaibh


Scoil Chroí Naofa
School of the Sacred Heart

The "h" is added to the word croí (heart) above when putting it into the genitive case ("of the heart").
The "ró-" is not needed for what you requested, but if you want to say "School of the Most Sacred Heart", then you'd use it:
Scoil Chroí Ró-Naofa
but in the longer expression one usually adds Jesus's name, as in:
Croí Ró-Naofa Íosa
Sacred Heart of Jesus
or
Scoil Chroí Ró-Naofa Íosa
School of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
[though I've never seen that longer name used for a school, or even a church for that matter]

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017 8:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 715
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Ros Liath wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for a translation of the above.

Would Scoil Croí Ró-Naofa be correct?

Go raibh maith agaibh


Scoil Chroí Naofa
School of the Sacred Heart

The "h" is added to the word croí (heart) above when putting it into the genitive case ("of the heart").
The "ró-" is not needed for what you requested, but if you want to say "School of the Most Sacred Heart", then you'd use it:
Scoil Chroí Ró-Naofa
but in the longer expression one usually adds Jesus's name, as in:
Croí Ró-Naofa Íosa
Sacred Heart of Jesus
or
Scoil Chroí Ró-Naofa Íosa
School of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
[though I've never seen that longer name used for a school, or even a church for that matter]


Isn't an article necessary in the version without Íosa?
Scoil an Chroí (Ró-)Naofa = the School of the (Most) Sacred Heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1257
Quote:
Isn't an article necessary in the version without Íosa?
Scoil an Chroí (Ró-)Naofa = the School of the (Most) Sacred Heart


Yes, it is grammatically, but I checked online and saw that schools in Ireland seem to leave it out in their titles, so I went with the flow (perhaps unwisely).

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 715
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
Isn't an article necessary in the version without Íosa?
Scoil an Chroí (Ró-)Naofa = the School of the (Most) Sacred Heart


Yes, it is grammatically, but I checked online and saw that schools in Ireland seem to leave it out in their titles, so I went with the flow (perhaps unwisely).


There are both.
Especially Scoil Chroí Naofa in Athenry is mentioned very often. Without this school, versions with article prevail.
In Irish language texts (Google search +"bhfuil") there are almost no forms without article (160:9)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2017 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 14 May 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Fear Manach
Thanks for the replies.

Just one last question on this. If the place name An Táite Riabhach were added how would that affect things?

Go raibh maith agaibh arís!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2017 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 438
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Labhrás wrote:
In Irish language texts (Google search +"bhfuil")

Very clever!! :clap:

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2017 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 438
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Ros Liath wrote:
If the place name An Táite Riabhach were added how would that affect things?


Perhaps Scoil an Chroí Naofa sa Táite Riabhach ?

Wait for Labhrás and Coimhín's opinion

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep 2017 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 715
Cúmhaí wrote:
Ros Liath wrote:
If the place name An Táite Riabhach were added how would that affect things?


Perhaps Scoil an Chroí Naofa sa Táite Riabhach ?

Wait for Labhrás and Coimhín's opinion


or:
Scoil an Chroí Naofa, an Táite Riabhach

(just like: Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart School
PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep 2017 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 511
Labhrás wrote:
Ros Liath wrote:
If the place name An Táite Riabhach were added how would that affect things?



Scoil an Chroí Naofa, an Táite Riabhach

(just like: Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath)


:good: I would use a capital letter though - An Táite Riabhach


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group