It is currently Sun 15 Sep 2019 3:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2019 9:27 am 

Hello! If I talk too much, I apologize.

I am 17 and live in the United States. When I turn 18, I am going to go get a tattoo (hopefully 2).

I have always been interested in Irish history, though never found the time to learn about it until now. I have heard the Irish language a couple of times and it is a very beautiful language. I very much want to visit Ireland and just take it all in and learn everything I can. Also, if I say anything incorrect or you find an opportunity to educate me on your history and beautiful language, please don't hesitate to correct me or provide more information. Just please be kind :)

I was hoping that someone could help me out with translating two different "quotes" that hold meaning to me. They are things that I want to have on my body forever. The first one is "Take a leap of faith". If this specific phrasing can't be done or is quite difficult to translate, I can come up with another way of phrasing it. The second thing I'm hoping to get help translating is "I will prevail". And again, if it is necessary I can find another way to phrase it.

I have no preference for dialect, mainly because I don't know any kind of difference. Any translation that is provided, I would be very grateful if you could tell me which dialect is used. I want this to be some kind of learning experience for me as well. Thank you to anyone who helps me with this. My birthday is on April 25 so hopefully this will leave enough time to have some people come up with a translation for these.

Have a wonderful day everyone! :computer:

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2019 1:55 am 

WillieP wrote:

I am 17 and live in the United States. When I turn 18, I am going to go get a tattoo (hopefully 2).

I have always been interested in Irish history, though never found the time to learn about it until now. I have heard the Irish language a couple of times and it is a very beautiful language. I very much want to visit Ireland and just take it all in and learn everything I can. Also, if I say anything incorrect or you find an opportunity to educate me on your history and beautiful language, please don't hesitate to correct me or provide more information. Just please be kind :)

I was hoping that someone could help me out with translating two different "quotes" that hold meaning to me. They are things that I want to have on my body forever. The first one is "Take a leap of faith". If this specific phrasing can't be done or is quite difficult to translate, I can come up with another way of phrasing it. The second thing I'm hoping to get help translating is "I will prevail". And again, if it is necessary I can find another way to phrase it.

I have no preference for dialect, mainly because I don't know any kind of difference. Any translation that is provided, I would be very grateful if you could tell me which dialect is used. I want this to be some kind of learning experience for me as well. Thank you to anyone who helps me with this. My birthday is on April 25 so hopefully this will leave enough time to have some people come up with a translation for these.

We're always kind :twisted:

For, 'I will prevail'

Something like béarfad(sa) an bua (liom). Literally 'I will seize victory' (Munster dialect)

béarfaidh mé an bua (liom) (Official Standard).

What do you mean by a 'Leap of Faith'?

Traditionally, it is used as a metaphor for believing in God.

In that sense,

Cuirim(se) féin i muinín Dé . Literally 'I put myself in God's trust/ confidence/ dependence'.

https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/leap+of+faith

or, in the secular sense,

Raghadsa ar choimirce na cinniúna (Munster dialect). Literally 'I go/ proceed under the protection of destiny/ fate', or alternatively 'I go under the protection of [God's] judgement'.

Rachaidh mé ar choimirce na cinniúna (Official Standard).

or

Raghad(sa) sa tseans leis (Munster dialect). Literally 'To take a chance on it'.

Rachaidh mé sa seans leis (Official Standard).

or

Raghadsa i muinín an tsaoil 'I proceed in life's trust'.

Rachaidh mé i muinín an tsaoil

https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/take+a+chance

Wait for more input,

Cian

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2019 9:27 pm 

Now I'm not sure how to feel :S

Ah, no matter, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide so many different translations.

Now I have a few questions. For béarfaidh mé an bua (liom) (Official Standard), and béarfad(sa) an bua (liom) (Munster dialect), can you or anyone explain what the bits in parenthesis [(liom), and (sa)] mean? Are they an optional addition to the translation, or are they something that I don't understand?

For 'Take a Leap of Faith', I mean it in the secular sense as I don't have any religious affiliation. Someone else has a thread where they wanted "feel the fear and do it anyway" translated and that is basically what I mean. Like, no matter the situation, I should have the courage to do the things I want to do and I shouldn't let a little bit of doubt or fear get in the way of me accomplishing my goals.

So I was thinking that "Raghadsa ar choimirce na cinniúna (Munster dialect). Literally 'I go/ proceed under the protection of destiny/ fate', or alternatively 'I go under the protection of [God's] judgement'" or "Rachaidh mé ar choimirce na cinniúna (Official Standard)" would be the most similar to what I am wanting.

Again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I've been so excited for it and I can't wait for more potential translations and confirmations.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2019 12:46 pm 

I like the Munster dialect so I second

Raghadsa ar choimirce na cinniúna.

Also, Cian suggested

Raghad(sa) sa tseans leis

which I like because it's short and expresses the idea very well.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2019 2:53 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
WillieP wrote:

We're always kind :twisted:

For, 'I will prevail'

Something like béarfad(sa) an bua (liom). Literally 'I will seize victory' (Munster dialect)

béarfaidh mé an bua (liom) (Official Standard).

What do you mean by a 'Leap of Faith'?

Traditionally, it is used as a metaphor for believing in God.

In that sense,

Cuirim(se) féin i muinín Dé . Literally 'I put myself in God's trust/ confidence/ dependence'.

https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/leap+of+faith

or, in the secular sense,

Raghadsa ar choimirce na cinniúna (Munster dialect). Literally 'I go/ proceed under the protection of destiny/ fate', or alternatively 'I go under the protection of [God's] judgement'.

Rachaidh mé ar choimirce na cinniúna (Official Standard).

or

Raghad(sa) sa tseans leis (Munster dialect). Literally 'To take a chance on it'.

Rachaidh mé sa seans leis (Official Standard).

or

Raghadsa i muinín an tsaoil 'I proceed in life's trust'.

Rachaidh mé i muinín an tsaoil

https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/take+a+chance

Wait for more input,

Cian

:good:

And yes, anything in parenthesis means it's optional.