It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018 9:25 pm 

I was under the impression that they had brought out a new edition of this, but I can't find it - so if you look around you might be able to find a copy of 'Gairdín an tSonais' (book and CD) by Brian Ó Baoil published by An Gúm - ISBN 978 1 85791 089 6.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2018 3:43 pm 

(On the topic of me struggling with pronunciation)
Cúmhaí wrote:
Throw away everything about orthography and just look at chapter one of Nancy Stenson

Yes! I've reread that chapter just now and indeed it's answered a lot of my questions. I'll start a thread elsewhere to summarise what I learned.

(I read this when you posted it in January. IIRC, the reason I didn't reply here at the time is that we were also discussing pronunciation in another thread and I replied there.)

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2018 5:29 pm 

More time has passed. I've been absent these past months from ILF but there's been no pause here in the constant singing and the nightly stories in Irish (and translating them first for myself).

We now have a Ciorcal Comhrá in Brussels.

On one hand, my son's Irish is improving nicely and he understands a lot now. His progress and his interest are constant. On the other hand, I see his vocabulary in other languages booming and my Irish just isn't rich enough to copy that pace in Irish.

He doesn't say much in Irish, but that's because I'm not pushing him. I have to learn to pronounce the language myself before I can tell him how to speak. But I think this is a problem will solve itself quite quickly once I'm confident in my own pronunciation, which is only a matter of time.

Someone told me that when multilingual kids get to around seven, they start imposing their own language preferences, and I've kinda seen this in other families alright, so I've got three-and-a-half years to convince him it's in his interest to use Irish with me :)

We haven't gotten any new CDs; we pretty much had everything available already. Among the new books, the nicest ones are:
* The six monster books in the series Cófra Lán Arrachtaí
* Páid agus an Scoil
* Ulchabháin Óga
* The 16 books in the Glac Sos series from O'Brien Press

Two books that stand out for being good value are
* Síscéalta Traidisiúnta (124 pages - back cover says €15 but I think I got it cheap in Chapters, ground floor)
* Bran agus a Chairde ag Spraoi (77 pages with lots of text on each page - I think it was €15)
* (The two Seán agus Coisí books were also good value, and I think the mini stories are great, but they haven't been a hit with my son yet. In due time...)

The most advanced book we read is Séan agus an Gas Pónaire. This is from a series of books written by Máiréad Ní Ghráda, published by An Gúm. I like the level and a translator recommended this series for the quality of the Irish, but it remains to be seen if the other stories in this series will be as much of a hit with a boy (Rapunzel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast etc.).

I got three bilingual books for kids from the Fadó Irish Legend Series (there're six books in the series). Haven't had time to read them myself but I'm expecting they'll be good.

My shopping list for Christmas is Taghd's box set Fionn Mac Cumhaill (4 Leabhar + CD) (see my other thread about my new pronunciation plan), and another book or two from the above mention Máiréad Ní Ghráda series.

I was hoping to get some board games or card games but the only ones in Siopa Leabhar were for classroom use (e.g. big box with twelve identical sets of cards). What I'll probably do is buy non-Irish games and make a vocabulary list. Something like the game "Guess Who?" would be a great way to start a kid speaking Irish. Other suggestions very welcome!

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov 2018 4:41 pm 

Dia dhuit a chara,
if you are looking for board games, flash cards, card games, puzzles srl, I suggest that you make your own or you can always adapt what's available in English (or in any other language for that matter). For example, you can cut out pictures from the sales catalogues that the toy shops put through your letterbox and add Irish captions, so that you can create your own dominoes, snap cards or what ever you want. I've already made sets of dominoes that have the numbers or colours in written form in Irish and at the moment I'm creating an Irish version of snakes and ladders using the animals and monsters that you find the margins of Irish manuscripts. There are also colouring books with an Irish theme that are available, where again you can paste in Irish captions over the English ones.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018 11:31 am 

Have you looked at the Irish resources page at Educationaltoys.ie ?

- Liosta Siopadóireachta (10 euros)or you can buy it as part of their Irish learning bundle (30 euros).

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018 2:08 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
Have you looked at the Irish resources page at Educationaltoys.ie ?

Oh! I hadn't seen that site. I'll take a look at Liosta Siopadóireachta and their books. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018 1:31 pm 

I realise that it's a bit expensive, but apparently it's worth it - D'Aon Ghuth - volume 1 (with CD) compiled by Sue Furlong and published by Boosey and Hawkes - ISBN 978 0 8516 2462 4. It's the first in a set of three - the others are for older children, of course. If you shop around you might find it at a more reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018 2:12 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
I realise that it's a bit expensive, but apparently it's worth it - D'Aon Ghuth - volume 1 (with CD) compiled by Sue Furlong and published by Boosey and Hawkes - ISBN 978 0 8516 2462 4. It's the first in a set of three - the others are for older children, of course. If you shop around you might find it at a more reasonable price.

Yeh, €40 is dear for a CD, especially without knowing the quality (or how many minutes of singing is on the CD, or which dialect is used). I think I've 26 CDs so far, but there's only six or maybe eight that we've found good enough to listen to regularly.

(In contrast, I'm just after buying nine kids books for €27 in An Siopa Gaeilge's An Gúm section. Good value.)

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018 3:05 pm 

On Amazon UK it's £23.10

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2018 3:13 pm 

I found this site with 20 board- and card-games:

https://www.udar.ie/product-category/cluichi/

But I ended up blowing my budget on books so games will be for in a few month's time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next