It is currently Sat 11 May 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: ceist
PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2017 12:59 pm 

On the Leabhar Breac website, they have in their catalogue the book An Ceithearnach Caolriabhrach - a retelling of an old story by Darach Ó Scolaí. First of all, the word - caolriabhrach - isn't in the Teanglann dictionary, but does thin/caol refer to the stripes (on his clothing?) or to the boy himself as suggested in the introduction on their website page ? Secondly they mention that this story comes from a manuscript 'circa 1500', would anyone know which one and is it on the ISOS.ie website ?

Post subject: Re: ceist
PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2017 5:08 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
On the Leabhar Breac website, they have in their catalogue the book An Ceithearnach Caolriabhrach - a retelling of an old story by Darach Ó Scolaí. First of all, the word - caolriabhrach - isn't in the Teanglann dictionary, but does thin/caol refer to the stripes (on his clothing?) or to the boy himself as suggested in the introduction on their website page ? Secondly they mention that this story comes from a manuscript 'circa 1500', would anyone know which one and is it on the ISOS.ie website ?

It could possibly mean "pinstriped" clothing. Honestly I have no idea.
Look up "riabhach" without the second R.

ceithearnach - has a lot of different meanings in the dictionary, so I'd have to know the context first.

PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2017 5:53 pm 

I did manage to get hold of the book and the illustrations are very good (for once). He's a soldier - there's the rather derogatory term - kern - in English, which seems to go back quite a long way, it's even in Shakespeare. And he's wearing a striped cloak. I would warn you however that it's not the kind of book you would want to show to children, as some of the pictures are quite explicit. What I don't understand is that the publisher states on their website that it's a retelling of a story that was written down in around 1500. I asked them which manuscript it would be and what the MS number is, assuming that it must be available today in one of the many collections that you can consult on-line (ISOS. DIAS.ie) Their answer was - we don't understand the question.

The book is An Ceithearnach Caolriabhach, it's retold by Darach Ó Scolaí and it's published by Leabhar Breac in Indreabhán. ISBN 978 1 898332 14 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2017 9:07 pm 

This is on the front cover - to give you some idea of it. -

"Chonaiceadar óglach caolriabhach isteach chucu, leath a chlaímh taobh thiar dá thóin, an t-uisce ag plobarnaíl ina bhróga, barra a dhá chluas amach trína sheanbhrat......"
Agus leis sin cuirtear tús le himeachtaí a chuireann idir thaoisigh, ghallóglaigh, chláirseoirí, agus chrochadóirí na tíre as a gcranna cumhachta.

Scríbhneoir anaithnid a scríobh 'An Ceithearnach Caolriabhach' thart faoin mbliain 1500.
Sa leagan nua seo den seanscéal - le peann, le scuab, agus le gártha graosta - déantar ceiliúradh ar chamchuirt ghrinn a thosaigh cúig chéad bliain ó shin agus a bhfuil an oiread gean ag Gaeil uirthi ó shin.

PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2017 10:14 pm 

There is a translation here.

http://www.internationalbooks.ie/mcart/ ... oduct=5966

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2022 10:55 am 

franc 91 wrote:
On the Leabhar Breac website, they have in their catalogue the book An Ceithearnach Caolriabhrach - a retelling of an old story by Darach Ó Scolaí. First of all, the word - caolriabhrach - isn't in the Teanglann dictionary, but does thin/caol refer to the stripes (on his clothing?) or to the boy himself as suggested in the introduction on their website page ? I have seen in New zealand authentic language some similar words that referred to the stripe of a hat, like if they were wearing durags in new zealand. Secondly they mention that this story comes from a manuscript 'circa 1500', would anyone know which one and is it on the ISOS.ie website ?

Thank you for your question! Based on the context, I believe that caolriabhrach refers to the boy in the story, rather than the stripes on his clothing. As for the manuscript, we're not sure which one the story comes from, but it is possible to search for it on the ISOS.ie website.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2022 12:21 pm 

franc 91 wrote:

Hi all. I am interested in manuscripts circa 1500. Can you tell me where I can see their pictures and the original texts with translations?