It is currently Thu 16 May 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Dia daoibh go léir
PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011 10:09 am 

I am interested in Irish culture and language. I have a special interest in how Irish (and other regional languages) is taught to children, whether they are native speakers or not through the medium of playground rhymes and singing games and more generally in children's oral tradition. I teach English to French children and much of the work we do, exclusively in the target language, is through medium.
I have Buntus Caint and Rabhlai Rabhlai and several other books on Irish grammar and I am interested learning the Munster dialect. By the way - there doesn't seem to be a way of inserting fadas on this site as there is on the IGT Forum.
Slan
Franc

Last edited by franc 91 on Sat 03 Sep 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dia daoibh go léir
PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011 10:31 am 

Welcome Franc, I recognized your username from IGTF. I am interested in how kids learn as well. I have a two year old and a four year old, whose first language is Japanese, learning to speak English in the playground and with their cousins, and still finding room to sing songs in Irish because Daddy does.

Brendan

PS: Thanks for reminding me about the síntí fada. I forgot not everyone has easy access to them. (On a Mac, they are provided by default simply by pressing option(alt) + e before pressing the letter you want them on.) I will work on some buttons for the menu like the ones they have at IGTF.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011 1:40 pm 

There you go, franc. Buttons as requested. ;)

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011 7:48 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
I am interested in Irish culture and language. I have a special interest in how Irish (and other regional languages) is taught to children, whether they are native speakers or not through the medium of playground rhymes and singing games and more generally in children's oral tradition. I teach English to French children and much of the work we do, excusively in the target language, is through medium.
I have Buntus Caint and Rabhlai Rabhlai and several other books on Irish grammar and I am interested learning the Munster dialect. By the way - there doesn't seem to be a way of inserting fadas on this site as there is on the IGT Forum.
Slan
Franc

Hi Franc. I think you are spot on about using rhyme and songs with children. They are learning without realising it at all. It's also a great way for the adults around them to pick up a few new phrases. Another good cd is 'Ceol na Mara' by Futa Fata. Our kids love it. Very catchy.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011 10:21 pm 

Yeah, as you say, it is learning without realising it. Our eldest Aisling's Japanese skills really picked up after her grandmother, a kindergarten teacher, visited us from Japan and introduced her to games and rhymes in Japanese.

In a way, as music and song were my reason for starting Irish, I have benefited from the songs I learned (and every now and then a useful phrase pops up that I have heard in a song and therefore remembered more easily.)

One important feature of the technique, I think, is that exposure to the sound systems of a particular language at an early age encourages the brain to retain the circuitry for recognising those patterns (which would otherwise be removed for biological economy) for use later in life. It's one reason why people who come back to a language they heard as a child often have an easier time than those who have never heard the sounds before.

Futa Fata is a great site, Saoirse. I hope you'll add it to our useful links section. (The phpBB version of our site is running stably and securely, so I don't think we'll have to move again for the foreseeable future - touch wood, of course. ;) )