It is currently Sun 21 Oct 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 5:03 pm 

Ciarán12 wrote:
Dhiú nó dhiúbh bínn studaíonn Aidhris tú lang bhuen dhiú raoid d'fhios ait nórmal spaoi d'ain d'iondair stain duit. :)
:LOL:

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012 3:22 pm 

You know you've been studying Irish too long when you write relidious instead of religious :razz:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1776&p=15713#p15713

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012 4:08 pm 

Mick wrote:
You know you've been studying Irish too long when you write relidious instead of religious :razz:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1776&p=15713#p15713
:LOL: :oops: What's worse is I'll have to leave it there so that your post makes sense. I can't even correct it..... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012 4:22 pm 

Or you could just use your moderator powers to delete my post and pretend the whole thing never happened :??:

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012 4:26 pm 

Mick wrote:
Or you could just use your moderator powers to delete my post and pretend the whole thing never happened :??:
I like your style.......! But there are witnesses everywhere - Breandán is a bit like Santa - he's always checking to see if the boys and girls are behaving themselves; when he's not being naughty himself that is! One of the duties of a mod is to ensure that threads don't go too far off topic. I am failing miserably...... :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013 8:16 pm 

I saw 'villanous' today and thought 'there is an i missing there', but then thought 'no there isn't as then it would contradict the caol le caol rule'...... You know you have been studying Irish too long when you slowly become illiterate in your first language.......

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013 5:53 pm 

I posted this one on Facebook, but not everyone's on Facebook so...

You know you've been studying Irish too long when, after consuming a delicious Thai meal, you find yourself wondering if you've just eaten curaí rua or curaí dearg.

After much consideration (including, given the actual color of the curry, throwing out suggestions such as "flannbhuí" and "bandearg"), we settled on "dearg."

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013 4:32 am 

... when you stroll down the beer aisle and decide to pick up a nice bottle of "stella ar-TISH."

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013 4:46 am 

aireachtaigh wrote:
... when you stroll down the beer aisle and decide to pick up a nice bottle of "stella ar-TISH."

AGOA!

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2013 7:46 pm 

When the people around you, who have never studied the language, know what you're saying!

I was at choir rehearsal the other day (church choir, not Cór Ainglí) and the director said "get out the Batten" (as in "O Sing Joyfully," by Adrian Batten). I was having trouble finding it in my book, and muttered "Ca bhfuil sé...sin í an cheist!" and the person next to me helpfully answered "Page 70."

Later on, Tony and I were at a local Mexican restaurant and a group of young people at the next table were being overly loud and...er...rather inappropriately demonstrative. I nudged Tony and said "Sílim go bhfuil siad ar meisce" and he said "I think you're right."

Redwolf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next