It is currently Sun 15 Sep 2019 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2015 4:30 pm 

Hello, everyone.

I've been trying to get the translation into Irish lately, but I'm not sure if I get reliable ones. That's why I finally registered here, hoping I will get help.

The sentence is: "God, protect my family and me" and "God, protect me and my family". (I'm not sure if comma is necessary).

Can anybody help, please?

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2015 4:52 pm 

Dunham wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I've been trying to get the translation into Irish lately, but I'm not sure if I get reliable ones. That's why I finally registered here, hoping I will get help.

The sentence is: "God, protect my family and me" and "God, protect me and my family". (I'm not sure if comma is necessary).

Can anybody help, please?

Hi Dunham, welcome to the forum.

You've indicated that you wish to have your translation in "Irish". Unfortunately, this is the Scottish Gaelic Language section of the site, for questions relating to Scottish Gaelic only. Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are very closely related but considered separate languages and are not, on the whole, mutually intelligible. Post your question in the Irish Gaelic section and I'm sure people will be happy to help you. We can't answer your question here as it will create confusion and your question may not even be seen by relevant people that can help.

If you click on the board index, its the first main option there. A moderator, should be able to move your question to the relevant forum if you're having trouble.

Cian

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2015 11:02 pm 

Thanks Cian.

Dunham, welcome to the forum. Please re-post your question on the Irish section.

viewforum.php?f=28

Unless Caoimhín or Saoirse comes along before that and moves it. Sorry I'm not experienced in doing that.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2015 2:23 am 

I've moved your thread into this (main) Irish forum, Dunham, and here's a start as to the translation (but do wait for other comments).

There are several words which can be used for the verb "protect", depending on context, so I'm using a fairly generic one.

A Dhia, cosain mé agus mo theaghlach
God, protect me and my family

A Dhia, cosain mo theaghlach agus mé
God, protect my family and me

The word for "and", which is agus, can also be shortened to is or just 's, if you like the sound better, so you could have:
A Dhia, cosain mé is mo theaghlach
or:
A Dhia, cosain mé 's mo theaghlach

Also, in terms of of the flow of the request, some might say that, in Irish, it would sound more natural to reverse the clauses, as in:
Cosain mé 's mo theaghlach, a Dhia
I think that's more of a personal decision, though.

You could also consider replacing "God" with "Lord", which is perhaps more commonly used in Irish:
Cosain mé 's mo theaghlach, a Thiarna

and, finally, if you put the "me" at the end, it might also sound more natural to change the Irish word to its emphatic form, mise, resulting in:
A Dhia, cosain mo theaghlach 's mise

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2015 11:14 am 

Sorry, I didn't notice it was a Scottish part of the site.

Thank you very much for translations. I'm wondering which one is best, but probably the first thought...

If someone could write his/her own another version I would be grateful...

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2015 4:39 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
A Dhia, cosain mo theaghlach agus mé
God, protect my family and me

It sounds a bit odd to my ear to have "mé" at the end like that. I would say -
A Dhia, cosain mo theaghlach agus mé féin.

CaoimhínSF wrote:
A Dhia, cosain mé is mo theaghlach

It's not needed grammatically but again it sounds better to have "féin" in there.

A Dhia, cosain mé féin is mo theaghlach.

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar 2015 11:09 pm 

Quote:

That does sound better than mise. I knew by itself sounded somewhat off, but wasn't sure what to do, and now I know!

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015 10:54 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:

That does sound better than mise. I knew by itself sounded somewhat off, but wasn't sure what to do, and now I know!

Do speakers actually say A Dhia, I've only ever heard not natives use that, in the gut wretching phrase "Ó mo Dhia" :LOL:

I've only ever heard speakers say A Thiarna. Or when they want to express something similar to "Oh my God", a Thiarcais.

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015 3:07 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:

Do speakers actually say A Dhia, I've only ever heard not natives use that, in the gut wretching phrase "Ó mo Dhia" :LOL:

I've only ever heard speakers say A Thiarna. Or when they want to express something similar to "Oh my God", a Thiarcais.

In Donegal you'll hear "Dia mo shábháil" or just "Dia sábháil" in places where an English speaker might say "Oh God" or "Oh my God."

Redwolf

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar 2015 5:00 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Do speakers actually say A Dhia, I've only ever heard not natives use that, in the gut wretching phrase "Ó mo Dhia"

People say "A Dhia", particularly in set prayers. But also in expressions. "A Thiarna" is used too. It's more common though to invoke the Virgin Mary - "A Mhaighdeán" - both in actual prayer or blessing and as an expression of surprise etc.