PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 5:24 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Tiarnan wrote:
Bris na rialacha; seas leat féin;
diúltaigh d'imfhios, lean do chroí

What Tiarnan gave you means:
"break the rules, stand apart,
refuse your intuition, follow your heart."

De Bhaldraithe has imfhios; FGB refers that to iomas. I have an image of "intuition" also being a heart thing.

Can we get away with just diúltaigh do cheann "Refuse/deny your head" instead? or is there a better alternative to imfhios/iomas (if that doesn't already suit ashes013086)?

I like Breandans suggestion of diúltaigh do cheann and the meaning but I know there was a question raised, I just want to make sure that the translation is correct...especially since this is for a tattoo. I want everyone to know that I am very thankful for all the help and look forward to further suggestions. :)

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 10:06 pm 

ashes013086 wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Tiarnan wrote:
diúltaigh d'imfhios, lean do chroí

What Tiarnan gave you means:
"break the rules, stand apart,
refuse your intuition, follow your heart."

De Bhaldraithe has imfhios; FGB refers that to iomas. I have an image of "intuition" also being a heart thing.

Can we get away with just diúltaigh do cheann "Refuse/deny your head" instead? or is there a better alternative to imfhios/iomas (if that doesn't already suit ashes013086)?

I like Breandans suggestion of diúltaigh do cheann and the meaning but I know there was a question raised, I just want to make sure that the translation is correct...especially since this is for a tattoo. I want everyone to know that I am very thankful for all the help and look forward to further suggestions. :)
Tiarnan wrote:
I dont think ceann works in Irish...conjures up all kinds of gory and salacious images (imho)
How about meabhair ..(intellect)...if you dont care for my other brainstorm :LOL:

Oops, I forgot to reply to Tiarnan's post (and it was an important one.) :oops:

I think Tiarnan is right about ceann. We need to find a word that means "what the head thinks" as opposed to "what the heart feels." Meabhair might work, but here are some similar words for comparison:

meabhair "mind, memory, intellect, power of thought, attention, consciousness, awareness, reason, sensation, feeling, sense, meaning"
intinn "mind, mental state, disposition, bent of thought, attention, spirits, intention, accord"
aigne "nature, character, mind, disposition, spirit, cheerfulness, intention, stomach"
intleacht "intellect, intelligence, ingenuity"
smaoineamh "thought, reflection, idea"

Tiarnan's suggestion after imfhios/iomas was:

diúltaigh do mheabhair, lean do chroí

Next to intleacht De Bhaldraithe has "(opposed to emotions)". So perhaps one of the following might also work:

diúltaigh d'intleacht, lean do chroí

diúltaigh do chuid smaointí, lean do chroí

(do chuid smaointí "your thoughts")

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 11:38 pm 

Perhaps the last version can be reworked into something like diúltaigh a smaoiníonn do cheann; lean a mothaíonn do chroí ‘refuse what your head thinks; follow what your heart feels’?

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2011 5:46 pm 

diúltaigh do chuid smaointí, lean do chroí

(do chuid smaointí "your thoughts")

I really like the meaning and flow of this translation by Breandan, would I be able to use this one for my tattoo? As always thanks for all the help that everyone has given me!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2011 6:26 pm 

Its been awhile since anyone has answered this, so I just wanted to make sure that everything is translated correctly and that its safe for me to go ahead with my tattoo...thanks in advance for all the help!

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2011 6:21 pm 

I am planning on getting my tattoo in a couple weeks and want to make sure that everything is translated correctly, there are a few different translations for me to choose from and I would to know which one is the most accurate. Thanks for all the help with this!!!