It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011 8:48 pm 

On the web I've seen some fierce criticism of this, but has anyone got a copy and what do they think of it?

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2011 2:44 pm 

I used to have a copy (it was my first Irish dictionary, actually). It was so full of errors (not to mention weird typographical issues, such as running words together in the grammar section) that I eventually got rid of it.

If you want a pocket dictionary, I'd go for a Collins, personally.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2011 4:55 pm 

Yeah, for a pocket dictionary I'd recommend the Collins - the middle section is really useful with verb conjugations, etc. - even the irregular verbs are fully conjugated (in Standard at least).

Unfortunately, Collins doesn't have individual pronunciations, like Foclóir Póca or Foclóir Scoile, though.

If I had to choose one to take on a trip, I'd still go with Foclóir Póca - for sheer compactness - though the print is way too small for ordinary study (especially at my age. :reading: )

I keep Collins handy on my desk for those occasions when I don't feel like lugging out FGB. :LOL:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 1:04 pm 

Yes I have the Collins Pocket Dictionary as well as the Collins Easy Learning Dictionary. I'll have to try and get hold of the Foclóir Póca. There's another small one I've just managed to get and that's called 'Irish Dictionary & Phrasebook' published in New York by Hippocrene Books (I see that originally it was published by Appletree Press in Belfast) and it does have the pronunciation provided - but I have to say that it's very definitely Ulster and I don't want to seem ungrateful but I'm still looking for something in Munster Irish.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 5:24 pm 

For Munster pronunciations (and grammar), you should try to get hold of a copy of the old Teach Yourself Irish by Myles Dillon/Donncha Ó Cróinín, Hodder and Stoughton, 1961. (ISBN 0 340 05797 1) It's from back when Teach Yourself books had (mostly) plain blue covers. There's a glossary with pronunciation in IPA in the back.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 10:23 pm 

There's an old dictionary of Muskerry Irish (I have it in PDF) with pronunciation (the phonetic alphabet is a bit strange though). It is here: http://www.archive.org/details/irisheng ... t011837mbp

The TY Irish you mention does exist in PDF with links to recordings (when you click on some words you can hear them pronounced. I think you can download it on D. Webb's blog (see below)

D. Webb made a dictionary of Muskerry Irish too, with a phonological transcription, you can download it from his blog. http://www.corkirish.com/wordpress/arch ... y/contents

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 10:30 pm 

Lughaidh wrote:
There's an old dictionary of Muskerry Irish (I have it in PDF) with pronunciation (the phonetic alphabet is a bit strange though). It is here: http://www.archive.org/details/irisheng ... t011837mbp

Err … isn’t that just a link to Dinneen’s dictionary? Or am I just not used to archive.org and doing it wrong?

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2011 12:40 am 

That's right, sorry, I didn't give the right link.
Here it is:
http://www.archive.org/details/educationalprono00duir

:)

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2011 8:39 pm 

Go raibh maith agaibh go léir - I see that's there's a nice Cork Irish site that BodhránBob has put on here as well. But isn't Buntús Caint supposed to be in Munster or would that be in Standard? - and if it is in Munster, then I'm surprised that the website Learn Irish that is available for those who use it, is run by an Ulsterwoman (I'm not criticizing in any way but just a bit surprised that's all)