Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2011 6:54 pm 

Scooby wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
Braoin wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
or a scam to get your email address

There's a thought... but then the list is public anyway... I'm wondering if it is a serious request and might consider it if it is. I would have to see the copy first.

For $15 U.S.? Please don't. There are translators out there who depend on this kind of work for a living...taking a job at such an insulting rate does them no favors (and your skill is worth far more than that as well). A company that is legitimately marketing Samsung products can afford market rates.

Even if it's just a paragraph, as a professional translation job it's worth more than $15. Heck, that won't even buy dinner for two at Subway these days! They want a professional translation, let them pay professional rates!

Redwolf

I agree totally. The funny thing is that if no money had been offered, the response would have been more positive!

Agreed! Of course that 'rate' would have to be on the table as well - if, and it is now a big if, the job were to be considered.

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2011 7:37 pm 

Scooby wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
Braoin wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
There's a thought... but then the list is public anyway... I'm wondering if it is a serious request and might consider it if it is. I would have to see the copy first.
For $15 U.S.? Please don't. There are translators out there who depend on this kind of work for a living...taking a job at such an insulting rate does them no favors (and your skill is worth far more than that as well). A company that is legitimately marketing Samsung products can afford market rates.

Even if it's just a paragraph, as a professional translation job it's worth more than $15. Heck, that won't even buy dinner for two at Subway these days! They want a professional translation, let them pay professional rates!

Redwolf
I agree totally. The funny thing is that if no money had been offered, the response would have been more positive!

Yes, true, but I think we have always recommended ay IGTF that requests for larger jobs of a commercial nature be directed to professional translation services.

In this case, we also sent an e-mail with that recommendation to the address provided but received no response. It was the lack of any response that in turn prompted us to remove the e-mail and other contact information from the post and not to restore it.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2011 10:30 am 

Braoin wrote:
Scooby wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
Braoin wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:

Dear Braoin,

If you can help me to translate 4 short excel files into Gaelic, please email me at [contact admin mods for more information].

Simi

Last edited by Breandán on Sun 16 Oct 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to remove private contact details.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2011 11:31 am 

@simi-ga - please keep all matters related to this job within this thread.

@all members - As always, we urge any members interested in something like this to approach it with a great deal of caution.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).