It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: translation to English
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 11:20 am 

Hi there, could anyone translate the folowing sentences to me in English please? it has to be an (as correct as possible) translation from a Dutch songtitle to Gaelic but the person who translated this wasn't quite sure. Some dutch verbs can't be translated to gaelic, i've been told. Now i really want to verify if it's correct. Please help me out, thanx already!

Tá fearthainn gathanna gréine ann

Tá gathanna gréine ag báisteacht

kind regards, Iwan Koster

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 7:38 pm 

Iwan Koster wrote:
Hi there, could anyone translate the folowing sentences to me in English please? it has to be an (as correct as possible) translation from a Dutch songtitle to Gaelic but the person who translated this wasn't quite sure. Some dutch verbs can't be translated to gaelic, i've been told. Now i really want to verify if it's correct. Please help me out, thanx already!

Tá fearthainn gathanna gréine ann

Tá gathanna gréine ag báisteacht

kind regards, Iwan Koster

There is a rain of sunbeams.
Sunbeams are raining. (báisteach without -t)

It would be better to tell us what it should mean in English/Dutch.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:01 pm 

Hello there, thank you very much for your translation.

The real title of the song in dutch is "het regent zonnestralen" what would be in english: "it is raining sunbeams"

both Gaelic translations cover this really well i think.....would you use another sentence?
hoping to hear from you,
thank you again!
Iwan Koster

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2022 9:20 am 

Iwan Koster wrote:
Hello there, thank you very much for your translation.

The real title of the song in dutch is "het regent zonnestralen" what would be in english: "it is raining sunbeams"

both Gaelic translations cover this really well i think.....would you use another sentence?
hoping to hear from you,
thank you again!
Iwan Koster

I don't know.

Perhaps, "Tá sé ag cur gathanna gréine" is better.

because "Tá sé ag cur ..." (lit. "It is putting ...") is normally used for weather/precipitation phenomena like rain or snow (ag cur fearthainne/báistí, ag cur sneachta)
You could use "Tá sé ag balcadh ..." for heavier pouring precipitation.
That is metaphore enough.

I don’t know if "rain" (báisteach/fearthainn) can be used metaphorically for other things. It prob. just means water falling down.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb 2024 11:55 am 

There seems to be a form of abundance in "Het regent zonnestralen", so then "pours" doesn't sound bad to me as an English translation.

It's a beautiful song, the full text is here:
https://genius.com/Acda-en-de-munnik-he ... len-lyrics

It's about a guy who sold his car, the guy that bought it fatally crashed it and then the first guy reads his own death announcement in the newspaper, looks back on his life, and decides to make the most out of it.

Without children, I could imagine stepping aboard my small sailboat and bring her up to Conamara, Westport or Galway, I really long to visit those places by sea, in the spirit of Saint Brendan, in search of spiritual release in celtic christianity and the translation of druid wisdom in the very same age or just before he lived.

That is why I am learning Irish. I hope I can also realize my plans without somebody else having to have a fatal accident in my sold car, as I hopefully a bit superfluously add for clarities reasons.