It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2018 7:49 pm 

A little late, but...

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde, Jason is ainm dom, agus táim i mo chónaí i SAM. Is maith liom foghlaim teangacha, agus táim ag foghlaim Gaeilge mar go n-airím gur féidir leis na teangacha Ceilteacha úsáid beagáin chabhrach agus go bhfuil an méid seo Éireannach anseo. Táim anseo chun ceisteanna gramadúla a chur do nach féidir liom fáil na bhfreagracha ar líne. Go raibh maith agaibh as uile chabhrach a thug sibh dom cheana.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2019 4:10 pm 

Hi everyone. I m Talat.

I am in Exeter for academic education and I have been learning Irish for a while from youtube videos. I found here and wanted to be a part to meet Irish friends and maybe talk Irish in the future.

I am originally Turkish and I have great enthusiasm about Celtic History.

There are some historical places in Anatolia ( Republic of Turkey ) like ' Gallipoli ' or ' Galata Tower '. Those places are related to ancient Celtic Empire. I also read a few books about Irish-Turkish relationship in the 19th century.

Thank you for this website which is extremely beneficial for beginners like me.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan 2019 1:15 am 

myth wrote:
Hi everyone. I m Talat.

I am in Exeter for academic education and I have been learning Irish for a while from youtube videos. I found here and wanted to be a part to meet Irish friends and maybe talk Irish in the future.

There are some historical places in Anatolia ( Republic of Turkey ) like ' Gallipoli ' or ' Galata Tower '. Those places are related to ancient Celtic Empire. I also read a few books about Irish-Turkish relationship in the 19th century.

Welcome, Talat!

You're right about the Celtic influence in what is now Turkey (long before the Turks arrived). The Celts entered Anatolia (central Turkey) in the 3rd century BC, as Alexander's empire broke up. It was supposedly at the invitation of a local king (of Bithynia, I think) who wanted them to help fight his enemies, but they later became mercenaries for various kings, and had their own kingdom for a while, called Galatia, with Ankara as its capital (some say that they founded Ankara, but there may have been an earlier city there). Most Christians don't know that the Galatians who were addressed by the apostle Paul in one of his epistles in the New Testament were Celts. He wrote the epistle in Greek, which was the international language in the eastern Mediterranean back then, but it is believed that the Celtic language which they spoke may have survived until as late as the 600's.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan 2019 9:11 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
myth wrote:
Hi everyone. I m Talat.

Welcome, Talat!

You're right about the Celtic influence in what is now Turkey (long before the Turks arrived). The Celts entered Anatolia (central Turkey) in the 3rd century BC, as Alexander's empire broke up. It was supposedly at the invitation of a local king (of Bithynia, I think) who wanted them to help fight his enemies, but they later became mercenaries for various kings, and had their own kingdom for a while, called Galatia, with Ankara as its capital (some say that they founded Ankara, but there may have been an earlier city there). Most Christians don't know that the Galatians who were addressed by the apostle Paul in one of his epistles in the New Testament were Celts. He wrote the epistle in Greek, which was the international language in the eastern Mediterranean back then, but it is believed that the Celtic language which they spoke may have survived until as late as the 600's.

Absolutely! I have born in Ankara and my family still lives there.

This is what influenced me too. By the way, according to articles i read, there is no 'first-arrived' tribe in Anatolia but as you mentioned Celtic history is being underestimated in Anatolia. Moreover, there is certain evidence in central Asia - turphan depression ( now Uyghur Turks live there ) about Celtic-Irish lived there too. Celtic Mummies, inscriptions which were written in Celtic language etc. Unfortunately, the Chinese government suppressing this evidence to manipulate regions history.

Religions are dominating the historical researches so there are not many kinds of research related to the ancient world.

After i gain a knowledge about celtic languages and when my engineering master finish, i will focus this issues.

Finally, could you please advice me some reliable sources ( book, article ) about Celtic History ?

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019 9:16 pm 

Hello all.
I am an Irish American, 2nd generation.
Recently beat cancer and have decided to no longer put things off, including some tattoos.
Looking for help confirming the accuracy of a phrase.

Thank in advance for help

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019 6:24 pm 

Dia Daoibh!

I have been taking lessons on Duolingo for two months. I am loving it! But the language is still so new to me I can't yet carry on a meaningful conversation (unless you want to talk about food, lol) I have reached a point in my lessons where it's getting complicated. I made it through lenition and eclipses well enough but now that we have reached question forms, I'm totally lost. I am in too far and it's too important to me to give up now, so I am hoping someone here can help!!! It's such a beautiful language.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2019 10:48 am 

Hi!

My name's Beatrix, I'm an Australian violist who's been living in Europe between Vienna and Berlin for about 10 years. I'm super interested in Irish history and culture, inspired at first by my family's heritage (having emigrated following the Great Famine). Unfortunately, however, that interest did not extend to learning Irish until now haha perhaps because I am so appalling at languages.. now that I have grasped the Viennese dialect and regular German, I have a bit more confidence to learn.

I play experimental/improv viola and am influenced by Irish music and literature, mythology. Recently, I've been performing some trad songs but it's very hard for me to memorise all the text so I thought about writing my own very simple poetry in order to be able to remember words. It would be great if I could ask for some translations, as my knowledge of the language and particularly, pronunciations grows.

Really excited to have found the forum, thank you!

Beatrix :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2019 1:15 pm 

Dia daoibh!

Breandán is aimn dom. I have had an interest in the Irish language for many years (even decades) but have yet to make a real effort to learn it. That will change this coming year. I look forward to interacting with you all on this forum.

Slán
Breandán

PostPosted: Mon 23 Dec 2019 11:00 pm 

We have not been too good lately at responding to the latest messages above, but welcome everyone!
Fáilte romhaibh go léir!

For suggestions about books to use or online sites where you can study Irish, please see the part of the forum with information about learning resources.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2020 12:42 pm 

Dia daoibh a chairde, is mise Mike Kinghan. Is as mBéal Feirste mé ach tá mé i mo chónaí in Oxford ó 1981. Is innealtóir bogearraí ar scor mé, 64 bliain d'aois, agus - go teagmhasach! - tá mé ag foghlaim na Gaeilge ar feadh 64 lá inniu.

Hello friends, I'm Mike Kinghan. I'm from Belfast but I've lived in Oxford since 1981. I'm a retired software engineer, 64 years old and - coincidentally! - I've been learning Irish for 64 days today.

My late mother and three of my father's brothers were good Irish speakers when I was growing up, and others were regularly in our home. I had more pressing priorities then and throughout my career but never shook off the peculiar sense of "not knowing my own language". That's why I'm here.

I studied Latin and French for a few years at school but I've never seriously tried to learn a language before. Please improve my Irish if you can!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 73  Next