It is currently Sat 25 May 2019 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 10:23 am 

Breandán wrote:
Compare your post of 4 October with Scooby's quote thereof "Déarfainn go bhfuil áit ... " versus "Tá áit ... ". :D

However, the time at which your edited your post Thu 06 Oct 2011 9:16 am is admittedly identical to Scooby's quote so we might have to let you off. ;)

Ah, right you are! I must have forgotten about the ‘I think’ part altogether when writing it up, and then added it back when I saw the error of my ways, by which time Scooby’d already started quoting me.

I see I kind of vacillated back and forth between dar liom and déarfainn, too. Either works, really, for me.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2011 2:02 pm 

Thanks guys! It sure sounds like good things are happening, all thanks to your efforts.

Personally, I've been going a little crazy lately. I had a calculus midterm last night, from 5:30-8 PM, so of course I was working equations and functions for a few days before that. We're also going to be moving to a new house in 10 days, so we're making preparations for that, and I have a chemistry midterm in 5 days. :panic: I have to help my brother-in-law move into a new apartment, complete 2 genetics assignments, write a huge genetics experiment results paper good enough to be published, meet with the woman in charge of undergraduate research, and speak with a department on campus about writing a new resume in preparation for grad school application.

I'm going a little crazy. It all seems to happen at once :stoning:

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2011 1:56 pm 

Tattoo appointment is just over 48 hours away.

Faberm suggested this:
"Sílim go bhuil sé sa chroi an fhir, áit deanta fá choinne iontas. Codlaionn sé istigh, ag súil le comhlíonadh"

Breandán and Kokoshneta have been working on this:
Dar liom go bhfuil áit don iontas ina suan i mbrollach (or i gcroí) gach duine, ag feitheamh le comhlánú.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2011 3:17 pm 

Scooter1685 wrote:
Faberm suggested this:
"Sílim go bhuil sé sa chroi an fhir, áit deanta fá choinne iontas. Codlaionn sé istigh, ag súil le comhlíonadh"

Sa chroí here should be i gcroí,  should be , and iontas should be iontais; those are grammatical errors—and déanta and codlaíonn both have accents; that’s a typo. Other than that, this is grammatically correct, but I don’t think it flows as well as the other option. An fhir means ‘of the man’, and unlike in English where ‘man’ can be used to refer to any human being in general, the Irish word explicitly states this to be a man, not a woman. Fá choinne does mean ‘meant for’ (rather broadly), but it’s somewhat colloquial and doesn’t fit the register of the rest of the statement very well, I think. It’s also dialectally highly marked as being an Ulster-only form. I can’t recall exactly, but since your request has CO (i.e., the standardised orthography, rather than any particular dialectal form) in the title, I would assume it would not be ideal in this case.

So, with the grammar bugs debugged and a precise back-translation (with notes and specifiers in parentheses):

Sílim go bhfuil sí i gcroí an fhir, áit déanta fá choinne iontais. Codlaíonn sí istigh, ag súil le comhlíonadh
‘I think (but I’m not sure) that it is in the heart of the (male) man, a place made for wonder. It sleeps inside/within, hoping for fulfilment/being filled out’

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011 2:55 pm 

Alright guys, the day is today. In about an hour and a half I go to get my tattoo. The translation I'll be using is this:

"Dar liom go bhfuil áit don iontas ina suan i mbrollach gach duine, ag feitheamh le comhlánú."

I'm going to have an old-style ink used to give it the dark green look. I'm going to look for a nifty font to put it in. I believe there are some on IGT.

Thank you all so much for your help!

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011 4:55 pm 

Scooter1685 wrote:
Alright guys, the day is today. In about an hour and a half I go to get my tattoo. The translation I'll be using is this:

"Dar liom go bhfuil áit don iontas ina suan i mbrollach gach duine, ag feitheamh le comhlánú."

I'm going to have an old-style ink used to give it the dark green look. I'm going to look for a nifty font to put it in. I believe there are some on IGT.

Thank you all so much for your help!

You can actually try it out here.

Here's a version using Vincent Morley's Bunchló Ársa font:

Dar liom go ḃfuil áit don iontas
ina suan i mbrollaċ gaċ duine,
ag feiṫeaṁ le coṁlánú.

In older scripts, h, when representing a softening of a consonant sound, was written as a dot above the consonant in question.

Here's an image you can send/take to your tat artist:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011 11:15 pm 

Thanks! It looks great and feels only like a mild sunburn, aside from the place where my 16 pound cat landed on it with extended claws while trying to jump into my lap as I sat on the couch. Those places are little bands of increased pain, though he didn't break the skin so the tattoo is fine. Once I figure out how to do it, I'll have to get pictures up. I used... well I'll have to look up what it's called. On my computer it's just called GaelicB...

Apparently they don't use the old-style black ink anymore though, so it's just black. At the moment it's only the text, though some time in the future I'm going to design a nifty border for it. It looks odd to me, with just text on my forearm. Needs something around it to make it more attractive.

Anyhow, I'll look up what the font was called.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011 11:23 pm 

Ok, it's F M O'Carroll's "Gael B". I found a link to it on this site actually, heh. See what wonders can be found by perusing the forums a bit? My wife and I will be celebrating tonight :toast: since this is only my second (or third if you're picky) tattoo.

The reason third is an option is because I had my first tattoo entirely redone. I was only 18 when I got it, and the original tattoo artist went far too deep. It's basically one giant scar, surrounding my entire upper arm. Horrible, horrible man. :bash: Because I didn't know anything about good or bad tattoos at the time, I even gave him a $50 tip...

Ah well, live and learn.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011 11:25 pm 

Anyhow, now that this phrase is permanently imprinted on my forearm, could any of you offer pronunciation for it? It would be awesome to be able to actually speak the phrase when people ask what it says.

Apparently I still didn't prepare fully after 3 weeks of consideration :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011 12:08 pm 

Dar liom go bhfuil áit don iontas ina suan i mbrollach gach duine, ag feitheamh le comhlánú
DAR l(y)oom guh will AWT(y) dun EEN-tuss in-uh SOO-un i MROL-ukh gaakh DIN-ih, uh FEH-hoo leh CO-LAWN-oo
/da:r l´um gə wil´ ɑ:t´ dəN i:Ntəs əNə su:əN ə mroləx ga:x din´ə, ə fehu: l´e ko:Lɑ:Nu:/

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next