It is currently Sat 25 May 2019 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2011 11:34 pm 

I'm going to be getting a new tattoo soon, and I would very much like for it to be in Irish Gaelic. If you would please help me with translating (meaning is more important than actual words, of course), I would be extremely appreciative. I would also like to know how to pronounce the phrase correctly.

Thank you very much for your assistance. This phrase holds great significance to me.

"I think there is, in the heart of a man, a place made for wonder. It sleeps inside, awaiting fulfillment."

That is the part I need translated for my tattoo. The full quote, if you're curious, is:

"I think there is, in the heart of a man, a place made for wonder. It sleeps inside, awaiting fulfillment. All one's life, one gathers treasures to fill it. Sometimes they are tiny glistening jewels; a flower blooming in the shelter of a fallen tree, the arch of a small child's brow combined with the curve of her cheek. Sometimes, however, a trove falls into your hands all at once, as if some great chest spilled before an unsuspecting beholder."

I don't need the full quote translated, lol. I only need the first two sentences, as I posted above.

Again, I thank you for your time and assistance. :ta:

Blessings!

Scoot

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 11:10 am 

Scooter1685 wrote:
I'm going to be getting a new tattoo soon, and I would very much like for it to be in Irish Gaelic. If you would please help me with translating (meaning is more important than actual words, of course), I would be extremely appreciative. I would also like to know how to pronounce the phrase correctly.

Thank you very much for your assistance. This phrase holds great significance to me.

"I think there is, in the heart of a man, a place made for wonder. It sleeps inside, awaiting fulfillment."

That is the part I need translated for my tattoo. The full quote, if you're curious, is:

"I think there is, in the heart of a man, a place made for wonder. It sleeps inside, awaiting fulfillment. All one's life, one gathers treasures to fill it. Sometimes they are tiny glistening jewels; a flower blooming in the shelter of a fallen tree, the arch of a small child's brow combined with the curve of her cheek. Sometimes, however, a trove falls into your hands all at once, as if some great chest spilled before an unsuspecting beholder."

I don't need the full quote translated, lol. I only need the first two sentences, as I posted above.

Blessings!

Scoot

I'll give this a shot. Please wait for correction.

Tá ceantar, dar liomsa, i lár an fear, áit d'ionadh. Codlaíonn sé taobh istigh, ag iarraidh lánsástacht.

Please wait on confirmation for all translations

Ag Iarraidh cómhra as Gaeilge? Bígí Linn - http://www.foramnagaeilge.com

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 3:34 pm 

Taoiseach wrote:
Scooter1685 wrote:

Blessings!

Scoot

I'll give this a shot. Please wait for correction.

Tá ceantar, dar liomsa, i lár an fear, áit d'ionadh. Codlaíonn sé taobh istigh, ag iarraidh lánsástacht.

i lár an fhir

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 4:10 pm 

Ceapaim go bhfuil áit don iontas, i gcroílár fir. Codlaíonn sí istigh ag fanacht ar lánsástacht

another try

Chief Buffalo Breath

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 4:22 pm 

Thank you :D

I'll not be getting the tattoo for another few weeks, so I certainly have time to make absolutely certain of the translation before it's permanently attached to my body, lol. I don't need to be featured on the Gaelic version of Engrish. :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 4:56 pm 

Another go (stealing ideas left right and center):

Ceapaim go bhfuil ball i gcroí an duine, ball le haghaidh iontais. Codlaíonn sé istigh, ag fanacht ar lánsástacht.

( :idea: One of the problems with being a translator is that you have to look beyond a beautiful, poetic phrase and ask silly questions like "how does a place sleep?" And then try to ignore them again. :razz:)

As always, await further input ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 5:00 pm 

You gotta lot of "balls"" to put that up :rofl:

Chief Buffalo Breath

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 5:12 pm 

What? Have I ballsed something up? 8O

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 5:20 pm 

Naw...it just struck me as punny....yours is fine.. I meant ball as in bowel :LOL:

Chief Buffalo Breath

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011 7:48 pm 

Quote:
i lár an fhir

T.G. :bash:

Sorry about that.

Tá ceantar, dar liomsa, i lár an fhir, áit d'ionadh. Codlaíonn sé taobh istigh, ag iarraidh lánsástacht.

Please wait on confirmation for all translations

Ag Iarraidh cómhra as Gaeilge? Bígí Linn - http://www.foramnagaeilge.com