It is currently Thu 05 Dec 2019 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hawkeye translation
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011 7:57 pm 

Could you please help out with a translation for Hawkeye? My Irish dancer who is attending University of Iowa is organizing a collegiate Irish dance company for the purpose of performance and instruction for Irish dancers who are attending U of Iowa as well as students interested learning choreography.

She would like to have "Hawkeye" to represent the name of the dance company and perhaps "University Dance"

Thank you for your help.

Post subject: Re: Hawkeye translation
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011 10:34 pm 

idmx303 wrote:
Could you please help out with a translation for Hawkeye? My Irish dancer who is attending University of Iowa is organizing a collegiate Irish dance company for the purpose of performance and instruction for Irish dancers who are attending U of Iowa as well as students interested learning choreography.

She would like to have "Hawkeye" to represent the name of the dance company and perhaps "University Dance"

Thank you for your help.

"Hawkeye"
súil seabhaic

try saying that with a few whiskeys. :darklaugh:

"University Dance"
Damhsa Ollscoile
Rince Ollscoile

wait for confirmation

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2011 9:50 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
idmx303 wrote:

"Hawkeye"
súil seabhaic

wait for confirmation

"súil seabhaic" would be a word for word translation, but would you actually say that, or would you be more likely to say "súil an tseabhaic"?

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2011 10:23 pm 

Stát Shúil an tSeabhaic sounds more natural as a whole phrase.

But Súil Seabhaic sounds just as good when the state part isn’t mentioned, I’d say.

A different question would be whether or not such a translation is even appropriate here. I don’t know if Iowa has an official nickname in Irish, but I doubt it—and even if it does, I doubt it would carry the secondary meaning of ‘keen-sighted’ along with it. I don’t know if there’s a bird-based saying in Irish for having keen eyesight—if there is, I’ve never heard it.

Googling súil seabhaic, the notion it seems to represent the motion is one of a ‘broad overview’ (a bird’s view of something), rather than a keen, piercing eyesight.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 2:56 am 

kokoshneta wrote:
Stát Shúil an tSeabhaic sounds more natural as a whole phrase.

But Súil Seabhaic sounds just as good when the state part isn’t mentioned, I’d say.

A different question would be whether or not such a translation is even appropriate here. I don’t know if Iowa has an official nickname in Irish, but I doubt it—and even if it does, I doubt it would carry the secondary meaning of ‘keen-sighted’ along with it. I don’t know if there’s a bird-based saying in Irish for having keen eyesight—if there is, I’ve never heard it.

Googling súil seabhaic, the notion it seems to represent the motion is one of a ‘broad overview’ (a bird’s view of something), rather than a keen, piercing eyesight.

Why would it not be appropriate to ask for a translation here? :O

Sass

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 11:58 am 

Sassy Lassie wrote:

No no—not whether it’s appropriate to ask for the translation, but whether translating ‘Hawkeye’ literally is even an appropriate way to approach the translation in this case.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 9:32 pm 

kokoshneta wrote:
Sassy Lassie wrote:

No no—not whether it’s appropriate to ask for the translation, but whether translating ‘Hawkeye’ literally is even an appropriate way to approach the translation in this case.

Got it. Grma.

Sass

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2011 10:58 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
idmx303 wrote:

Thank you for your help.

"Hawkeye"
súil seabhaic

"University Dance"
Damhsa Ollscoile
Rince Ollscoile

wait for confirmation

We were asked for an Irish language equivalent of 'Hawkeye' and 'University Dance'.
Súil Seabhaic
and
Rince Ollscoile (or Damhsa Ollscoile)
...look grand to me.

I'm drinking the whiskeys now, so I'll try 'súil seabhaic' out later on..... :)