It is currently Tue 21 Sep 2021 8:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013 12:31 am 

WeeFalorieMan wrote:
I just finished Cuid a ceathair déag – the final part of Sliabh na mBan bhFionn! :D

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, this is very important to me. Like many (most?) Irish folk-tales, this story has no English translation, and I think it's a privilege to be able to read such an old folk-tale in the original language.

Fair play WeeFalorieMan and well done! Peadar Ua Laoghaire heard this when he was young in the 1840s, from a woman of the generation before him, so you're getting a story from late 18th century Cork here.

For the next story, I'll sort out the notes for this over the next week and we can move onto Craos Deamhan then, or we could do Cúán Fithise first if you would prefer. Cúán Fithise is about half the length of Sliabh na mBan and comes from Middle Irish manuscripts, although modernised by Peadar Ua Laoghaire.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013 6:27 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Peadar Ua Laoghaire heard this when he was young in the 1840s, from a woman of the generation before him, so you're getting a story from late 18th century Cork here.
Yeah, there are a few fragmentary versions in English, but this one is, by far, the most complete version that I've ever come across. :)

An Lon Dubh wrote:
For the next story, I'll sort out the notes for this over the next week and we can move onto Craos Deamhan then, or we could do Cúán Fithise first if you would prefer.
Well, since your giving me a choice, I would really like to read Cúán Fithise next. As you know, the original book had Sliabh na mBan bhFionn and Cúán Fithise together, so I think it would be nice to read the whole book before moving on to something else. In fact, if you wouldn't mind doing it, I think it would be great if we could also work through the wee poem in the book by Pádraig Ó Laoghaire and the two songs Bó na Leathadhairce and Tá Dhá Ghabhairín Bhuí Agam – not to worry, I'll make sure that my singing voice is in top form by then! :lah:

Truth to tell, I'm kinda worried about Craos Deamhan: It is my understanding that Peadar Ua Laoghaire made some rather drastic … er … emendations to that particular story, so that it differs quite a bit, in places, from the original. :(

What would you think about maybe working through Scéalaíocht Amhlaoibh Í Luínse sometime?

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013 6:53 pm 

WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Well, since your giving me a choice, I would really like to read Cúán Fithise next. As you know, the original book had Sliabh na mBan bhFionn and Cúán Fithise together, so I think it would be nice to read the whole book before moving on to something else. In fact, if you wouldn't mind doing it, I think it would be great if we could also work through the wee poem in the book by Pádraig Ó Laoghaire and the two songs Bó na Leathadhairce and Tá Dhá Ghabhairín Bhuí Agam – not to worry, I'll make sure that my singing voice is in top form by then! :lah:

Well, how about we do the two songs and the poem "Cathain Bheam Saor" next! A very good version of
Tá Dhá Ghabhairín Bhuí Agam was made for the Anam an Amhráin series, but I don't see it on the net.
Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh has a great version of Bó na Leathadhairce on her cd Ar Uair Bhig An Lae.

Quote:
Truth to tell, I'm kinda worried about Craos Deamhan: It is my understanding that Peadar Ua Laoghaire made some rather drastic … er … emendations to that particular story, so that it differs quite a bit, in places, from the original. :(

Yeah, it is basically an original work. I've read the medieval original and they're quite different. Peadar Ua Laoghaire turns it
into an actual story, where as the original version is largely a satire on the Bards and their geneological knowledge.

Quote:
What would you think about maybe working through Scéalaíocht Amhlaoibh Í Luínse sometime?

Definitely, Amhlaoibh was considered by several people to be the best speaker of Irish in the country. There are
grammatical features and words in his stories that aren't really to be elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013 8:06 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Well, how about we do the two songs and the poem "Cathain Bheam Saor" next!
Do bheadh sé sin go h-iontach! I just need a few more days to bask in my glory – just kidding! ;)
I'm gonna review Sliabh na mBan bhFionn for the next 12 days to make sure that I've actually learnt everything and can read through the whole story without stopping to look up anything in the notes or in the dictionary. The extra time will also give other people a chance to get ready to join in if they want to. So, if all goes well, I should be ready to start on the poem and the songs on September 1st.

An Lon Dubh wrote:
A very good version of Tá Dhá Ghabhairín Bhuí Agam was made for the Anam an Amhráin series, but I don't see it on the net.
I don't know this song at all, but hopefully somebody will be able to find it somewhere on the net before September.

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh has a great version of Bó na Leathadhairce on her cd Ar Uair Bhig An Lae.
Yeah, that's the best version out there for sure. I don't have the lyrics because I bought it on iTunes, but I'm sure that we'll be going through every line with a fine-toothed comb – This is gonna be fun! :D

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Definitely, Amhlaoibh was considered by several people to be the best speaker of Irish in the country. There are grammatical features and words in his stories that aren't really to be elsewhere.
Great, I'm looking forward to it! :^+:

I think sometime late next week would be a good time to start a new thread called Cathain Bheam Saor or something like that – for notes, comments, questions, etc.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013 8:15 pm 

WeeFalorieMan wrote:
I think sometime late next week would be a good time to start a new thread called Cathain Bheam Saor or something like that – for notes, comments, questions, etc.

Cool, let's start with Bó na Leathadhairce on September 1st, what do you think? Or would you prefer Cathain Bheam Saor?

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013 9:45 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Cool, let's start with Bó na Leathadhairce on September 1st, what do you think?
Okay, Bó na Leathadhairce on September the 1st – let's do it. :reading:

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013 10:59 pm 

Here are a couple of typos that I ran across in Cuid a Cúig:

Finally, [comma] there is an additional subtlety …
Do shiúlaíos [spelling] siar an bóthar go réidh
De réir a chéile, do las an tine suas In due order, [comma] the fire was lit up.

Sin a bhfuil … :)

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013 9:22 pm 

I'm not sure if you're still going over the notes, but I spotted a couple o' typos in Cuid a Seacht:

p. 30 This being the past tense … but remember dependent forms like …

p. 31 (2.) All other nouns … Genitive dual
Chomáineadar leo

That's all for Cuid a seacht :)

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013 9:55 pm 

Oh, I'm still going over them. I'm finishing them up, so I can put them into Nótaí an Loin Dhuibh.
So keep the corrections coming!

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013 8:40 pm 

I almost have Sliabh na mBan bhFionn ready for Nótaí an Loin Dhuibh, sorry for the delay, but
I've been really busy.

Would it be okay if Bó na Leathadhairce started on Tuesday?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next