It is currently Tue 21 Sep 2021 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Sliabh na mBan bhFionn.
PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013 9:15 am 

Since Séadna is such a difficult book to begin with I thought I'd start this thread.

One of Peadar Ua Laoghaire's easiest works is Silabh na mBan bhFionn. Installments with a dictionary for each installment
can be found on the Cork Irish website.

Why don't we go through each installment in turn? There's fourteen in total.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013 4:22 pm 

Sliabh na mBan bhFionn looks like a great story – You can count me in! :D

I don't like reading from a screen, so I'll be making a hard copy of the story. The part that's called "Sliabh na mBan bhFionn complete" can't be copied so maybe one of us could ask David if he would let us have a pdf. It might also be possible for him to give us another pdf with all the 14 sections that were posted separately. I'm sure David wouldn't mind helping us out with this. His website has done more for Munster Irish than any other site on the internet!

Things are a bit hectic for me at the moment, but if all goes well, I will be able to start in 2 weeks. Is that okay or were you wanting to start sooner? The first day of Spring seems like and auspicious time to officially begin this study group. :)

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013 9:47 pm 

I was actually thinking of scanning up my copy of the book in the seanchló so we could have some practice at reading that, if you would
like? There is a little mini-dictionary after every segment in the book, but just in case these little dictionaries leave something out, I have the link to the Cork Irish site.

Mainly I think we'd be covering grammar here and subtle differences between words. Basically have an in depth discussion on something short and easy to handle.

We can certainly wait two weeks, it'll give more time for others to join in if they'd like. :)

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2013 4:01 pm 

WeeFalorieMan wrote:
The first day of Spring seems like and auspicious time to officially begin this study group.
O.T. WFM, but do you know that the first day of Spring in Ireland is actually 1st of February? Lá 'le Bríde.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2013 6:57 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
I was actually thinking of scanning up my copy of the book in the seanchló so we could have some practice at reading that, if you would
like?
That's a good idea. I have never read anything in seana-chló before, but I'll give it a try. First we could go through the whole story in the modern spelling, and if you want to, you could make a brief study guide for each section with grammar points and general comments. Then when everybody understands it, and all of us have read through the story, we could give it a go with the seana-chló.

By the way, that Eisirt story (book?) looks pretty good. I've put in on the long finger, but I'd like to read it someday when I'm a little more advanced.

Saoirse wrote:
O.T. WFM, but do you know that the first day of Spring in Ireland is actually 1st of February? Lá 'le Bríde.
Ah yes, the first of February is an important holiday and of course, it would have been even MORE auspicious than the Vernal Equinox! :) According to my wee book, the traditional name for the month of February (in Munster) is mí na Féile Bríde.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2013 8:00 pm 

Here's an idea of the notes. I wrote these quickly today, see what you think:
Notes on Part 1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2013 9:34 pm 

I've decided to type up the seanachló version, it'll be clearer than a scan. This can be easily turned into the normal
version of the latin font. Here's the first part just to show you what it looks like, the rest tomorrow.

The story itself.

This is the part of the story the notes above deal with.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2013 5:37 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Here's an idea of the notes. I wrote these quickly today, see what you think:
Notes on Part 1
The notes look great! Everything will be back to normal in my neck of the woods on Tuesday, so I should be ready for Sliabh na mBan bhFionn on Wednesday. In the mean time I'll make a hard copy of these notes and the seana-chló version that you posted.

Dálta an scéil, is breá liom na scéalta Fiannaíochtaí! :D – Go raibh míle míle maith agat! :GRMA:

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2013 5:53 pm 

Déanfad leagan crúinn desna nótaí Dé Mairt, tá dearúd cló sna leagain thuas! Mar sin, is fearr macshamhail a dhéanamh an tseachtain seo chughainn. :)

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2013 8:47 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Déanfad leagan crúinn desna nótaí Dé Mairt, tá dearúd cló sna leagain thuas! Mar sin, is fearr macshamhail a dhéanamh an tseachtain seo chughainn. :)
Is ea, ceart go leor. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next